SuperBanshee

Re: Sick ACA Allertor Taycheedah, WI

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:31 am

That Allertor 125 first turned up in 2011, replacing a leftover Thunderbolt 1000T from the city of Fond du Lac. The Allertor probably came from another city or township.
I believe the Allertor is either not wired up correctly or it's running off a phase converter. There's also the odd chance they purposely set it up like this so it would be lower pitched like the Thunderbolt it replaced. Despite its apparent issues it seems to have held up well enough as it looks and sounds identical to when I first heard it in 2011.

uncommonsense

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:56 am

That thing is barely running. Yikes. Its almost like its 3-phase missing a leg. It still winds up smoothly and doesn't necessarily have that jerky wind-up that dried out start caps (single phase) would give. Could be bad run caps but again you don't typically hear as smooth as a wind-up. But it could be that. Whatever it is its not normal or healthy for that siren.

Josh
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: MetroSignal
Discord: Josh555#0001

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:25 am

I think it sounds cool like that regardless of the issues it might have.
- Josh
proud owner of a Federal Signal corporation Model A

Josh_S
YouTube Username: WI Fox Valley Lifts and Alarms

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:21 pm

SuperBanshee wrote:That Allertor 125 first turned up in 2011, replacing a leftover Thunderbolt 1000T from the city of Fond du Lac. The Allertor probably came from another city or township.
I believe the Allertor is either not wired up correctly or it's running off a phase converter. There's also the odd chance they purposely set it up like this so it would be lower pitched like the Thunderbolt it replaced. Despite its apparent issues it seems to have held up well enough as it looks and sounds identical to when I first heard it in 2011.
I am so sorry to bump this thread, but can someone clarify where this siren is located in the township? I have been doing some research on the sirens in the counties surrounding me and Fond Du Lac Co. has been a headache so far. It would appear that their "list" of sirens available online is full of grammatical errors, incomplete locations, and very vague incorrect information.
Proud owner of a ATI HPSS16R, a Whelen Hornet, and an ASC T-128ACDC

Firepro1120

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Josh(bearlovesox) wrote:
SuperBanshee wrote:That Allertor 125 first turned up in 2011, replacing a leftover Thunderbolt 1000T from the city of Fond du Lac. The Allertor probably came from another city or township.
I am so sorry to bump this thread, but can someone clarify where this siren is located in the township? I have been doing some research on the sirens in the counties surrounding me and Fond Du Lac Co. has been a headache so far. It would appear that their "list" of sirens available online is full of grammatical errors, incomplete locations, and very vague incorrect information.
It's at W3727 County Road WH. Here's a map that I made, https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 9932794551

SuperBanshee

Fond Du Lac County

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:31 am

I never knew Fond Du Lac County had an "official" list of sirens until earlier - it really is full of mistakes although I understand it hasn't been updated since 2007.

Fond Du Lac's original Cold War siren system was composed of dual tone Thunderbolts with the first two being installed in 1955. These replaced an as-yet unidentified fire house siren which was found to be inadequate.
By 1968 there were five sirens total. During the mid 1990s these sirens were showing their age and they failed during a tornado warning. All of the old sirens were replaced with ASC RM-130s around 1997/1998. T-128s were added between 2006 and 2007. One of those T-128s is located next to a former Thunderbolt location.

Malone (a small unincorporated community within the Town of Taycheedah) got one of Fond Du Lac's Thunderbolts. It was built in 1955 and can be found on the Agri-Land co-op building. It's painted beige.

St. Peter (also located in the Town of Taycheedah) got one of Fond Du Lac's later Thunderbolts. It died and was replaced with the Allertor posted earlier in this topic. I don't know where the Allertor came from although there used to be some in Winnebago County. Waukau, Oshkosh... all gone now.

I did not know Oakfield had a P-15 although I can see it on Google Streetview. Nice yellow color.

Brandon's siren is an ACA Performance Plus Banshee, and probably the only ACA branded example I've found. Not sure what their second siren is as I didn't know they had another siren.

Eden had a small Sparton siren located at the fire station. This was no longer used and I'm uncertain it's still there.

Firepro1120

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:46 am

The Malone Thunderbolt was taken down last year because the co-op it was mounted on was being demolished. It was supposed to be donated to the Town of Calumet for installation in Johnsburg but the project fell through. Shortly after the nearby Town of Marshfield (who was supposed to help pay for the Johnsburg siren) installed a 2001-130 at Wolf Lake in hopes to somewhat cover Johnsburg.

SuperBanshee

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:02 am

Well that's a disappointment. It was one of the first 1000Ts ever made and sounded really good when I last recorded it years ago.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:17 am

I'm not all that 100% sure that siren was made in 1955, if it were that old it would most likely have had the bars in the horn, and i'm pretty certain that the dual-tone models were not introduced until a few years later. From what I recall Minneapolis's Thunderbolts were some of the first dual tone models made, and they were dual tone so Minneapolis's sirens would be distinguishable from St. Paul's.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Return to “Videos and Media”