MattDean1003

Ft Stewart, GA tornado w/strange siren.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:34 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FzPWj ... tml5=False

The sirens are strange in the sense that they're playing the sound of a 2001 in wail, but they're playing the sample audio off the FS website. Voice announcements at 1:05
James M. Dean

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Re: Ft Stewart, GA tornado w/strange siren.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:47 am

They have a system of ATIs on the base. Here's one on 21 Valley Oak Dr. It's a solar HPSS16 with its speakers pointed in 3 directions, 400 watts south and west, 800 watts north.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/31%C2 ... !1s0x0:0x0
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

MattDean1003

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 am

A third one!...this one has the siren in high low the first minute, then voice, then 2001 recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqEL0aPEFbM

Edit; And yet another one. I'm on to something here..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF-Tq2G9Lak

Here's another one with the looped 2001 sound. How original of ATI to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JT8MgITkwY
James M. Dean

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Aside from the "Oh ATI's are the worst thing ever!" thing.. This makes me kind of mad. It is one thing to make a bad siren, but it is a entirely different, and worse thing to use the sounds of a DIFFERENT COMPANY'S SIRENS. If it was a mod playing 2001 sounds, I would understand, since the 2001 and modulator are both made by Federal Signal, but a ATI using Federal Signal's HI-LO and the 2001 sound is just bad. I personally think there should be a lawsuit, IF that was the choice of ATI, not the base.
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:40 pm

This makes no sense. They simply wanted a tone that was familiar to the inhabitants of the base, so they could recognize it during an emergency.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:00 pm

There is no patent, copyright, etc. on the tones that the 2001-130, UltraVoice, or any other siren out there puts out to my knowledge, so nobody will be coming out of the wood works and swinging lawsuits at ATI just because they decided to loop the sound of a conventional 12 port siren through their array. Besides you can do it on pretty much any electronic siren or mass PA made today. It's not that big of a deal. If they completely rip off a product from another company it's a different story, but so far ATI has been mostly clean.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:06 am

DJ2226 wrote:There is no patent, copyright, etc. on the tones that the 2001-130, UltraVoice, or any other siren out there puts out to my knowledge, so nobody will be coming out of the wood works and swinging lawsuits at ATI just because they decided to loop the sound of a conventional 12 port siren through their array. Besides you can do it on pretty much any electronic siren or mass PA made today. It's not that big of a deal. If they completely rip off a product from another company it's a different story, but so far ATI has been mostly clean.

Federal has a trademark on the sound of their Q siren. In fact, they were the second company in the world to do this, after Harley-Davidson (you can't copyright a sound). Whelen's first electronic "mechanical" siren, the Xecutor, sounded exactly like the Q which prompted the trademark. Newer versions sound much different, and is why they sound so awful.

rdfox

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Actually, I bet that Federal would be very interested in getting a ROM dump of the controllers for those sirens.

Because if they can prove that ATI literally downloaded the 2001 Alert sample tone from their website and looped it, rather than, say, going out and recording a 2001 in the wild themselves to create the sample, they've got them on a copyright violation, for illegally using the sample Federal produced instead of creating their own.

MattDean1003

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:19 pm

It is without a doubt the sample Wail sound from their website.
James M. Dean

Return to “Videos and Media”