Allenorgan42099

How loud is an STH-10?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:35 pm

I know they're rated at 115 dB at 100', but I've heard they're more like 125. They are pretty loud and powerful for sure.

Spencerlovestrains
YouTube Username: Spencer Harman

Re: How loud is an STH-10?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:36 pm

From personal experience, I really didn't find the STH-10 too be to loud, but man do they carry!
In my opinion, I think there way too many 2001's in Indiana!

Check out my siren recordings! https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Proud owner of a Fedelcode Model 2.

Allenorgan42099

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Spencerlovestrains wrote:From personal experience, I really didn't find the STH-10 too be to loud, but man do they carry!
Yeah, I know of one that's been heard 6 miles away!

ModulatorMan

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Allenorgan42099 wrote:
Spencerlovestrains wrote:From personal experience, I really didn't find the STH-10 too be to loud, but man do they carry!
Yeah, I know of one that's been heard 6 miles away!

That's most likely due to resonance, and possibly the combination of weather factors and such. I know for a fact that a rough, mechanical sound carries further than a synthesized wave because of the variance in frequencies making it so that you have a better chance of hearing and recognizing such a sound.
Modding the Most since 1996| Owner of a truck.

CycloneFan125
YouTube Username: Sirens & Elevators

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:35 pm

Personally I haven't heard one but I could bet they're probably about as loud as an XT22. I have heard a 2T22 before and it's pretty much an STH-10 with two layers and is dual toned and one layer has two extra horns. I've heard a Model 7 that sounded like an STH-10 and I know about one that can carry over 5 miles

Antiwhoknows
YouTube Username: antiwhoknows
Discord: GrnChkn#0926

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Since I've lived about two blocks from an STH-10 (it was installed in the Spring after I was born), I'm pretty familiar with how loud they are. I can assure you they are nowhere near 125dB at 100'. That's like comparing it to a Cyclone. They are, however, slightly louder than 2T22/3T22s, mainly because they have a much larger rotor. 2T22s are mostly projectors, volume wise.

As far as hearing one 6 miles away, there are a number of things to consider like ambient noise levels, wind direction, objects between you and the siren, etc. Yeah, maybe you can hear one that far away in calm and clear conditions, but it definitely would not be loud enough to be heard during a storm, which is when it actually counts. I personally find claims of sirens being heard at great distances a bit irrational, but if it makes you feel better, then have at it.
Federal Signal Model 2-240, Thunderbolt 1000AT, 3T22A
Federal Sign and Signal Model A
Federal Electric Type B
Sterling M Single Head

coastalsyrolover

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:00 am

The higher pitch from 6 miles seems q little crazy... As far as one that I have heard it honestly wasn't all that loud. The STL-10 and model 5 also weren't all that loud either though. I mean it's almost to the point of being cringe worthy but not there yet. We have an STH-10 for volunteer fire close to 6 miles away but I have never heard it from here.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

cauberallies

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:09 am

I've heard any 3 of the STH-10s around here at pretty comparable distances over the years, especially the lower pitched one. Having two mountains to bounce between may help.

That one in particular was about 4 miles from my old house, and it was loud enough to be heard indoors in certain conditions.

WhammyP-50

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:36 pm

When you get close (50) feet, they can give you a headache for at least 3 hours. Even with headphones on the sound is still piercing. It totally blocked out the music and it sounded as if the sound was coming from the headphones itself but 10x louder. Getting close to that is like a T-135ACDC from 400 feet away but just constant for 3 minutes.
"... Sometimes moving against the current is as easy as going with it... "

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”