Robert Gift

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:16 pm

Great! Chad.
Just don't let anyone pick up a 2t22 still attached to a pole.
It's convenient eyebolt and frame is not made for the weight of siren and pole.

texaschad25

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:33 am

I told the guy to sling the pole and lift it out of the ground so that I could take the sirens off and clean them up for repainting. He was going to go look at them today but I still have not heard back from him :(

Robert Gift

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:10 am

To be safe, can you just remove the siren from it's three-leg pole bracket with it's eyebolt?
Then pull the pole and do as you wish.
I'd be concerned about pulling the pole with the siren attached in case anything becomes unbalanced. Also I would not want to stress the bottom intake tube or brackets with the leverage of the 400 lb siren horizontally on the end of it.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:03 pm

Robert Gift, A&A wrote: I'd be concerned about pulling the pole with the siren attached in case anything becomes unbalanced. Also I would not want to stress the bottom intake tube or brackets with the leverage of the 400 lb siren horizontally on the end of it.
Actually, that would be just fine. Most sirens are installed on the pole before being set in place. They are designed to take the weight horizontally if properly bolted into the pole.

Robert Gift

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:15 pm

I would not do that with a 2t22.

I think the bottom intake tube, to which the three-leg pole braket is attached with 6 bolts, is not strong enough.

It may be bent or deformed by the leverage action of the long and heavy siren.
Better to install the pole, then set 2t22 attached to brackets down in the pole!

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:04 pm

Robert Gift, A&A wrote:I would not do that with a 2t22.

I think the bottom intake tube, to which the three-leg pole braket is attached with 6 bolts, is not strong enough.

It may be bent or deformed by the leverage action of the long and heavy siren.
Better to install the pole, then set 2t22 attached to brackets down in the pole!

Hmmm, you might be right on that one. I've seen Sentry's and several other types of sirens installed that way but never a 2t22. Whatever the case may be I would err on the side of caution and install the pole first then the siren.

texaschad25

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:42 am

Hmmm....WEll, so you guys dont think that the intake is stout enough to hold the siren while laying it down?? I do plan to take the sirens off and refurb them but I am thinking that my crane operator doesnt have a bucket to get the siren off before daunting this task. I'll check.. :wink:

Robert Gift

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:48 am

Could you use the crane to haul you up to remove the electrical wires and then bracket leg through-bolts from the pole?
The siren is then free to lift off the pole.
Then go up and attach to the top eyebolt.
You somehow get down and then lift the siren off the pole.

Then do the pole pull. That could be the difficult part.
One guy said he ruined an expensive cable trying to pull a pole.

hobbeekid

Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:11 pm

Guys,

The upper & lower intakes are made out of welded steel.1/8 in thick There should be no problem with weight issues when lifting both siren and
pole out of the ground.Or cutting pole at the base & lifting with a crane. It's in the design of the unit . I would'nt say anything if I did'nt have two of em myself......

Robert Gift

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:59 am

The Federal Signal 2t22 Installation Manual states:The eyebolt and hoisting bracket do not have sufficient strength to support the combined weight of the siren and a utility pole.
Therefore, do NOT attempt to erect the pole and siren together using the eyebolt as a lifting point.

Shortly later:
Refer to CAUTION [above] between steps four in five in this paragraph.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”