Spencerlovestrains
YouTube Username: Spencer Harman

Worst place for a siren?

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:48 am

Sorry if a thread like this has already come up, but I wanted to create a thread about sirens that you think are in the absolute worst place that they could be mounted.

Here's a Model 2 at Dekalb High School in Waterloo, IN. It is LITERELY right above the pressbox on a statium light pole.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.408352, ... 56!6m1!1e1
In my opinion, I think there way too many 2001's in Indiana!

Check out my siren recordings! https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Proud owner of a Fedelcode Model 2.

sirendude2012
YouTube Username: legomn54321

Re: Worst place for a siren?

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:55 am

Any siren anywhere near a playground is a bad idea, particularly if it's mounted ON the playground (like the Model 5 in the Lowest Sirens thread). All the little children could get their hearing permanently damaged during testing (who would be out there during a tornado?).
THUNDERBOLT HAS BEEN SOLD

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:15 am

T-128 next to the home bleachers at Sycamore Junior High School, also close to the press box:
http://binged.it/1QWwKqR

I'm not gonna share anymore links since I just wanted to compare with that Model 2. But anyway, here are more that I can think of:

Las Animas, Colorado has 2 T-121s, one being located right next to a pre-school, and one at a small park that includes a playground and a swimming pool.

Really any siren that sits extremely close to someone's house, as I'm sure a lot of people hate having to listen to the piercing loud noise while they are home.

Springdale, Ohio used to have an Allertor that sat right next to I-275 and was pretty much at level with cars going by. The T-128 that replaced it is a little higher at least, but not very high up when looking from the highway.

Wyoming, Ohio's 2001-SRN in Chisholm Park is poorly placed, as it is smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood, and also, it may look high up when you look at it from Chisholm Trail, but if you go up a little bit of hill and then look at it from Compton Road, it looks very low, and very disturbing for people who live that close to it on Compton!
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

connerdstines

Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:37 am

Don't think it's the worst placement, but this 2001 in my neighborhood is almost in someone's backyard.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.153327, ... 6656?hl=en

On the sirens in playgrounds thing, a lot of our sirens are in or near school parks.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.198447, ... 6656?hl=en
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

Startug
YouTube Username: Ohio Sirens
Discord: JamesFisch

Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:54 am

This isn't on Google Maps, but this Federal Signal 2T22 is near a school playground out in New Concord, OH. It's nearby my university and I recorded it once from a good 1000 feet away, where it's still mildly ear-piercing loud. Since it's pretty close to a couple of playgrounds and a skatepark (not pictured unfortunately, will get better shots sometime) I'd be surprised if no one has gone deaf yet. It's also across the street from a pretty quiet neighborhood.
Owner of no sirens currently, but is looking to purchase and restore sirens for communities needing them.

Badger 12

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:30 am

In Hastings, PA there is an STH-10 mounted no more than 20 ft. From someone's home. Of course that person lives next to the fire station, but I don't know which came first.
Proud owner of a Blue Light and future owner of an STH-10

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:16 am

Having a siren located in a park makes sense, the whole concept is to warn everyone that is outside.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:05 pm

I agree with Cruz. Also, sirens in the middle of residential areas are good, that way all the people playing outside, doing yard work, etc. Know there's a tornado coming.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:23 pm

In the small town of Cloquet, MN, they have a moderately low-mounted 3T22 (I say moderately due to the fact that there is a ~20 foot hill next to it and that would put you eye level with the unit) right next to a large park and a elementary school. I would dread every first Wednesday for this reason. Also, there is another 3T22 on the other side of town also next to a park and several baseball fields.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:48 pm

I guess you could say a little to close for comfort. I would embed a link to Google Maps but don't know how.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-06-28 at 6.46.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2015-06-28 at 6.46.28 PM.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5161 times

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”