anddavivr

Western SD (New Member)

Wed May 09, 2007 7:09 am

Hello everyone! I recently joined but have been lurking for quite a while. I'm glad to finally add in my own little way to the board. I was wondering if there was anyone else on here who lives in western SD? I live in Spearfish! Anyway, I have taken some pics of the local sirens (many more to come) and even a couple videos. I hope they are up to par!

Photos at Flickr, username anddavivr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7988636@N04/

Vids at Youtube, username anddavivr
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=anddavivr

.... pretty straight forward...

Anyway, I've been looking for sirens all around this area. I am just uploading new pictures of two sirens I saw in Rapid City. There was a third thunderbolt but it was getting to dark to get a good picture plus I remember an old allertor but I couldn't find it...bummer. I know that Pennington Co is looking to update their siren system, don't know if they are getting rid of old ones...sent a few emails but got no replies, hopefully they keep them or at least sell them for cheap to other local small towns!

On the trip there I saw two other sirens...one was just a shadow, no idea on model. Other one was an American Signal newer model, no idea which model, recently installed.

Speaking of Thunderbolts, I grew up in a town with no air raid sirens (in the hills, no "need" for a tornado siren) then went to school in Aberdeen SD, my dorm room had a tbolt outside of it about 50ft away with a direct shot...Wednesdays at 6pm were both frustrating and fun at the same time!

One more random thought, if anyone is from the upper midwest sd area and knows of old sirens that might be for sale let me know! I'd love to try and fix one up and donate it to the local VFD.

Glad to be here, hope ya'll like my pics!

Andrew

Justin

Wed May 09, 2007 11:03 am

thunderbeam63

Wed May 09, 2007 1:25 pm

Welcome,

I live in the state right above you! It's good to see more people from the dakotas on this board. I'm glad you have some pics from South Dakota.
PENIS!

Castlevania2006

Wed May 09, 2007 3:14 pm

uh oh more competition :wink:
Jason C is the new ruler of this board,
do what he says or he'll cut off your big toe!
On that you can trust me on.

Daniel

Wed May 09, 2007 8:05 pm

Welcome to the board! Your photos are great. I've never seen a Model 5 on such a tall pole before. Are any of them dual-toned? There are many Model 5's in my state (Oregon) but to my knowledge, only one of them is a 5T.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Wed May 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Daniel wrote:Welcome to the board! Your photos are great. I've never seen a Model 5 on such a tall pole before. Are any of them dual-toned? There are many Model 5's in my state (Oregon) but to my knowledge, only one of them is a 5T.
I haven't either. It looks really nice to me.

Excellent pics and welcome to the board!

As for that 2001 I have seen one of those in Roswell, NM.

Robert Gift

Wed May 09, 2007 10:46 pm

Welcome. Nice Photos.
Don't let Pennington scrap any of theirs without your getting some.
Perhaps you may wish to send an actual paper letter!
Good luck.
Why is everyone paranoid? It is still legal to take photos of courthouses and sirens - unless you're in China.
Then, you have your wife stand before the camera and focus on the siren just over her shoulder.

2001srnfan

Thu May 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Welcome! I've been to South Dakota before.

Love the state!

Rapid City has sirens? I would never have guessed. Do a lot of municipalities own sirens in western South Dakota?
Owner of Ontario Severe Weather Forecasting
http://www.scostorms.com

anddavivr

Thu May 10, 2007 6:03 pm

good idea to snailmail them, almost forget about that now

...there are surprisingly quite a few sirens in western sd. Spearfish of course, Rapid City, at least two on I-90 between spearfish and rapid. I know sturgis just got a new system but don't know what kind of sirens. I grew up in Deadwood, I know they tested sirens there to see what kind of coverage they get, it was interesting with all the hills, very echoy, but they never test it. My father works for the DVFD, maybe he can fill me in...And of course there is the infamous 3t22 at Dupree...i'll be lookin' for more!

Castlevania2006

Sun May 13, 2007 8:31 pm

hey thats my siren :wink: stay away im getting it 1st :wink:
Jason C is the new ruler of this board,
do what he says or he'll cut off your big toe!
On that you can trust me on.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”