paul_c
Supporter
Supporter

STH-10 Question

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:16 am

So I might be getting an Sth-10.
Regarding wiring, I dont need a control box, right? Meaning, is there anything inherently wrong with just giving it power and letting the motor run? Or is there some initial load that needs to be modulated or something? Basically I dont know what a control box is for but as long as one isn't absolutely necessary I'm good to go. Thanks

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Re: STH-10 Question

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:38 am

paul_c wrote:So I might be getting an Sth-10.
Regarding wiring, I dont need a control box, right? Meaning, is there anything inherently wrong with just giving it power and letting the motor run? Or is there some initial load that needs to be modulated or something? Basically I dont know what a control box is for but as long as one isn't absolutely necessary I'm good to go. Thanks
You are going to need a motor starter for the motor. It needs to be of a rated amperage and horsepower for your motor.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Mitch

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:21 am

stormsetter4 wrote:
You are going to need a motor starter for the motor. It needs to be of a rated amperage and horsepower for your motor.
Not if he isn't going to be using a control box. The motor starter is only necessary if there's a timer controlling the siren, or you want it controlled by a manual switch that's not massive (rated for 50A+).
-Mitch

Andys Live WX
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: andyt1424

Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:51 pm

He could use a double-pole switch. I think those are rated for switching two hots. Or better yet, just use a 50 amp breaker as a switch.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
http://www.somnwx,com
Owner of a 3T22A

paul_c
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Mitch wrote:
stormsetter4 wrote:
Not if he isn't going to be using a control box. The motor starter is only necessary if there's a timer controlling the siren, or you want it controlled by a manual switch that's not massive (rated for 50A+).
Well I am going to be flipping a manual switch most likely, something inline.

paul_c
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Also, do those horns come off easily? Looks like four bolts for each horn maybe?
and would you guys say this siren is most likely about 200lbs?

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:52 pm

paul_c wrote:Also, do those horns come off easily? Looks like four bolts for each horn maybe?
It'll depend if they're rusted to the stator and/or together. Four bolts is correct: two bolts to the stator and one to a horn on each side. The bolts that help stabilize the circle of horns fit inside a spacer between each horn.

Weight will be determined by hp/phase and if it's including the air intake assembly. If you have a single phase like me it'll be closer to 400-425lbs.

Trust me I've let it scream without a motor starter...just the breaker will do. Just turn it off if the wires or breaker overheat.

paul_c
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Trey wrote:
paul_c wrote:Also, do those horns come off easily? Looks like four bolts for each horn maybe?
It'll depend if they're rusted to the stator and/or together. Four bolts is correct: two bolts to the stator and one to a horn on each side. The bolts that help stabilize the circle of horns fit inside a spacer between each horn.

Weight will be determined by hp/phase and if it's including the air intake assembly. If you have a single phase like me it'll be closer to 400-425lbs.

Trust me I've let it scream without a motor starter...just the breaker will do. Just turn it off if the wires or breaker overheat.
Thanks Trey. Guy selling it was telling me it is probably 200lbs lbs (yes, single phase).
If it's four hundred pounds, it's not getting into my pick up truck bed without a crane!

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:43 pm

paul_c wrote:
Trey wrote:

Thanks Trey. Guy selling it was telling me it is probably 200lbs lbs (yes, single phase).
If it's four hundred pounds, it's not getting into my pick up truck bed without a crane!
Get a few friends together. Trust me you will get it in. :wink:
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

theroofable

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:01 am

Its more like 400lbs.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”