Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Wed May 02, 2007 12:48 pm

The reason I discolored the red is because on my T-bolt that's the way it is. Take a look at this,

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5304782

The decal is worn but the best quality on the lightning bolt is where it goes through the word Thunderbolt. I cold be wrong, but I think it just changes the color of the lettering not disapearing behind it.

And any idea if that is lettering underneath the first set of dashes on the bottom of the decal? I'm sure it's some FS copyright notice.
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

StonedChipmunk

Wed May 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Yeah, copyright notice.

I'ma edit my newer one and make it look real nice, because to make it work I had to save it to JPG then edit it... so it isn't necessarily lossless. :cry:

I will upload it when I'm done. (I will try to get it 20" by 6" so you can downsize it and it will look amazing.)

And I'd totally buy one of them. :D Only problem is that I could just print it out, because I don't have a Thunderbolt and I probably am not going to put it on my car... but we'll see.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed May 02, 2007 1:57 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:Yeah, copyright notice.

I'ma edit my newer one and make it look real nice, because to make it work I had to save it to JPG then edit it... so it isn't necessarily lossless. :cry:

I will upload it when I'm done. (I will try to get it 20" by 6" so you can downsize it and it will look amazing.)
That would be awesome! .png's are the way to go. When I'm done with exams today, I'll go outside with a nice digital camera, and take a good quality shot of mine so you can have something better to work with if you like.

Haha, I'm probably gonna add one to the back of my truck. 8)

Matt Hackler

Wed May 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Well here is my latest update,

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5370031

I enlarged it on my machine to 10X3, chaneged the yellow, and added the trademark warning.
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

StonedChipmunk

Wed May 02, 2007 4:40 pm

Nice, Matt, but the lettering is a bit too boxy for my liking. Try to round out the edges just a bit.

I'm fine with the pictures, I'm just working off an enlarged old version. I also figured out why the picture was smaller with the large versions... it was because I uploaded them with the "resize to board size" setting.

Matt Hackler

Wed May 02, 2007 5:06 pm

OK Stoned, here is one with the letters rounded a bit. I think I like the boxy letters better. But here's the link

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5370635

StonedChipmunk

Wed May 02, 2007 5:20 pm

I personally like the rounded letters better, probably because it makes it look more "modern". The boxy letters would look good with the old-fashioned Federal Sign and Signal logo:

The new FS logo is just too curvy to have boxy letters, in my opinion. However, the logo above looks good (probably because the old-style F logo is a bit more sharp, so to speak).

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator

Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm

We're getting there!!! Here are some shots of my 1981 t-bolt logo on the rotator box. The background of the logo is clear to match the paint job (since my t-bolts were brown & white) and the lightning bolt does run behind the wording (years in the sun makes it bleed though though).

Stoned, the slant of the "F" and the slant of the top of the lightning bolt line up. Image
Other than that, awesome.

The final product preferably need to be drawn out as a vector graphic saved in a lossless .png format. I would like to have both the old and new version available for restorers. I hate being picky, but if this sticker is going to grace newly restored Thunderbolts, it definitely needs to be good!
Last edited by JasonC on Wed May 02, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StonedChipmunk

Wed May 02, 2007 5:59 pm

-={ FINAL VERSIONS COMPLETED! }=-

They are in PNG format. I saved it in Fireworks PNG format, so those of you with Fireworks can edit it further if you want to.

Rounded Edges:

Sharp Edges:

Download:
Rounded Clear - http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/ ... pdated.png
Rounded CD Yellow Background - http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/ ... ounded.png
Sharp Clear - http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/ ... dBlock.png
Sharp CD Yellow Background - http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/ ... ckgrou.png

OK, that's about it. More advice is accepted and appreciated!
Last edited by StonedChipmunk on Wed May 02, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator

Wed May 02, 2007 6:02 pm

Sweet! Thats pretty much it. Here are the only two small things I see.

Make the horizontal "pulsed" dashes the same color blue as the others, and make the lightning bolt a bit more squarish.

Ill have several versions of the logo up for printing, so if you guys like one version better, its no problem.

Also, those pics I have above....I have them in 3.5MP quality if you need to see anything else up close just shoot me a PM with your e-mail.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”