coppercarl
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: TheWeatherGuys

System Senson MASS

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:25 am

After quite a while of searching and digging, I finally figured out that my school corporation uses primarily System Sensor MASS fire alarms. Most of the east side schools have them, both older and newer styles while the other schools are all upgrading to the newer style ones when they need replaced. My point in posting this though is to ask if there are many other places that use this alarm out there. The only videos I could find are mostly of personal use with them, and it made me wonder how common they really are.
Ian Tate
Facebook

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Re: System Senson MASS

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:18 pm

From what I have seen they are common around here in newer additions to schools that were done in the 1970's-1980's. They are not as common as System sensor Spectralert classics but they are pretty common. Here is what I have scene in Sheboygan.

North High - System sensor mass remote strobe

Urban Middle school - System Sensor mass alarms at least 15 of them in the new addition. These ones are the newer version with the clear strobes.

Farnsworth Middle School - 17 or more System Sensor mass alarms in the new addition.

Sheboygan Union Hall - 1 System Sensor Mass older version with frosted strobe that says fire.

These alarms were common in systems around here where Wheelock 7002T-24's were already installed I do not know why it was just what O&W communications saw fit I guess.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Both the "older style" MASS (The one's with the frosted and/or non ADA strobe that's vertical), and the newer ones with the huge ADA strobe that's horizontal have been discontinued. They don't make either. And the reason in strobe difference is this: The older MASS had a frosted strobe, but then ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) came around, and forced ALL fire alarm strobes to be clear, and pull stations to have only 5lb of required pull force AND had to be mounted lower. Back to the MASS's, I own 3 ADA horn/strobes, one horn, and one ADA strobe only.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

NanSiren

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:24 pm

I've seen a non-ADA MASS in the county Human Service's old building, and Mayo Clinic uses ADA strobes in their system along with V400 speakers. There's a school nearby that has them. I've also heard several in Boston Fire Department's scanner feeds, often set to 800Hz.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”