motorsgears

outdoor small siren??

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a siren that is about the same specs as those cheap Chinese ms-290 sirens, but is good quality and weatherproof? Here are the specs for quick reference: 8" x 5" x 5.25"
110Db @ 1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlX5QdOHBQ

They are the perfect size, and decibel rating for what I need without being too high pitched. The problem is I want something that can stay permanently mounted outside and won't burn up after 1 minute alert. Something like a Model A is a little too high pitched and too big and the Model L sounds better but is also too big and a little too loud. Does anyone have any ideas?

echo1030
YouTube Username: O'ahu Sirens

Re: outdoor small siren??

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:31 pm

These sirens are not weather-proof and are more for use on vehicles. They are not very loud at all... an ademco Wave 2 security siren could easily drown one of these out. I would go ahead and look for a Model A/D/L instead since they are designed for use outdoors and most can simply plug into the wall. They also make a nice restoration project and are not too lout, nor too quiet. I have a restored a 1940's Model A that i have mounted outside for over a year. It is a reliable, rugged, and dependable siren good for covering small areas.
www.oahusirens.com
#DEFENDHAWAI'I
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

motorsgears

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:30 am

Yeah, I may go with a Model D or L. I know they are apparently extremely durable and weatherproof, but do you know if they built to withstand very harsh winter conditions? I'm from Canada by the way.

echo1030
YouTube Username: O'ahu Sirens

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:36 am

I am from Washington where it gets very cold in the winter and our local voulenteer fire department used 2 model D's spaced about 200meters apart as street clearing sirens. They souded every single time they got a call, even when there was 4 feet of snow at 0°C. So yes they can most certainly withstand the cold
www.oahusirens.com
#DEFENDHAWAI'I
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”