tony991

C O TWO Fire Sirens

Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:54 am

I just recently bought (2) C O TWO fire alarm sirens. They are powered by compressed air. They are both completely made of brass. Does anyone know anything about the company that made these? What year do you think they were made? The previous owner didn't really know anything about what they were used for or where they came from..
Attachments
$_57 (1).jpg
$_57.JPG

estokke09
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: estokke09

Re: C O TWO Fire Sirens

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:18 am

These were used as old CO2 fire suppression system alarms. A room with the system in it had at least 2 sensors in it, and if both sensed either smoke or heat, a valve opens and sets the siren off to signal everybody to evacuate immediately. After about 30 seconds, the remaining CO2 (And I mean A LOT) would be released into the room to suffocate the fire. However, if you didn't heed the siren's warning, it could suffocate you as well. C-O-TWO was a company that used to make fire suppression products such as fire extinguishers. Here is a video of a system in action, not my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DQ74fkUZ5k
Proud owner of a 3, CS3, Erick

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:43 am

Remind me to never tick off someone who can set off a system like that.
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

estokke09 wrote:Here is a video of a system in action, not my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DQ74fkUZ5k
Not gonna lie that video was awesome. :clap: You're right not much of a warning before death. I never would have guessed that thats what those sirens were made for. Learn something new everyday.
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

estokke09
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: estokke09

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:05 pm

As far as suppression systems go, CO2 isn't used as much any more, and neither is halon. Now it's all FM200, or some other kind of clean agent for new installs. Some are designed so that you can even be in the room when the system dumps and it will not harm you. I've worked in several places that have fire suppression systems installed and they are pretty interesting. The new systems don't use electro-mechanical sirens though.
Proud owner of a 3, CS3, Erick

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”