Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Thunderbolts in existence

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Yes, it is a stupid idea, but hey, I was bored.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid ... ZvOv&hl=en
Last edited by Brendan W on Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Re: Thunderbolts in existance

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Can I help with it? I know of a few locations.
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:13 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:Can I help with it? I know of a few locations.
Yessir. I'll add you to it.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

JMAN
YouTube Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Discord: @JMAN.WiS&S#2001

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:37 am

go on Wikipedia. they have a page about thunderbolt locations in the u.s. that I frequently add/update the Wisconsin section as info is uncovered
Owner of a Federal Signal 2001-DC & B9

YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/JMANWiSS
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/99160587@N07/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jman.wissotas ... als/?hl=en
Discord: JMAN.WiS&S#2001

TommyBNSF
YouTube Username: TommyBNSF

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:56 am

I can't seem to find that page again. I know there was one because I added to it. There is another one, but it doesn't have the edits I made to it and it doesn't list the types of Thunderbolts that were used. What happened to the old one?
Sirens, they're loud!

coastalsyrolover

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:03 am

TommyBNSF wrote:I can't seem to find that page again. I know there was one because I added to it. There is another one, but it doesn't have the edits I made to it and it doesn't list the types of Thunderbolts that were used. What happened to the old one?
It got deleted... The admins and a lot of the general public thought it was a "Page that didn't hold any importance (bullcrap)" So they deleted the page.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

coastalsyrolover

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:04 am

Yea that wiki thunderbolt location page is GONE! The admins like I was telling TommyBNSF didn't want it because it "didn't contain useful information" (bullcrap) So it went so long, see ya, bye bye, boom! Gone.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

1Thunderboltfan13
YouTube Username: CSXtrainman13

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:15 pm

I know i say alot about Colorado, but there is a 1003 in Brush, CO on top of the Brush Police Dept.

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm a Wikipedia editor with over 8000 edits to my name (though I wasn't involved in the deletion of this article). Let me tell you why it was deleted. Danger, Will Robinson: spiel mode engaged!

All Wikipedia articles need to demonstrate notability. They do this through the inclusion of significant coverage - reliable, independent, secondary sources that address the topic directly and in detail, so that you don't need original research to extract content. If you want Wikipedia to have a list of Thunderbolt locations, you'll need those sources.

Now, you're probably thinking one thing. "What the heck is he talking about?" Therefore, I'll explain what I mean. We'll get to reliability and independence shortly; first, significant coverage.

The definition of significant coverage is fairly broad - the source doesn't need to focus exclusively on the topic, but it needs to be more than a passing mention. So, using the Thunderbolt as an example, a source that references the Thunderbolt as "the iconic civil defense siren" before going on to describe fallout shelters is considered a passing mention, while a source entitled "A Complete, Unabridged History of Federal Signal" is probably going to be significant coverage.

Now, about reliability. A reliable source needs to have editorial integrity to allow verifiable evidence of notability. Sources might encompass published works in all forms, in any language. The availability of secondary sources covering the subject is a good test to check for notability. To use the Thunderbolt example again: how many newspaper articles, magazine features, books, etc., have you seen concerning the Thunderbolt in general? Not many, I'll bet. How many topics here? The list could go on without end.

Finally, independence. Defining sources that aren't independent is pretty easy. A press release. Advertising. An autobiography. The subject's website. You get the idea. Stay away from things of that nature when you're compiling sources for any article, siren-related or not.

OK, now that we've gotten all the defining taken care of, I'll give you a list of questions to go over.
  • Can you find significant coverage of any Thunderbolt in particular? (It doesn't have to be online.)
  • Is the significant coverage reliable?
  • Is it independent?
  • Can you demonstrate that the list isn't simply fancruft that would do better as a sticky here?
If you've answered yes to all of these, congratulations! You've successfully built a strong base to demonstrate the notability of the list.

Spiel mode disengaged.
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Warren County:

There is a 1000T at the corner of Jeffrey Road and Oregonia Road near Oregonia, Ohio, a 1003 at the Massie Township Fire Department in Harveysburg, Ohio, and a 1003 in Lebanon, Ohio. There's also a 1000T at the corner of Franklin Lebanon Road and Shotwell Drive in Franklin, Ohio.

My Warren County map featuring these sirens:

Map link.

Hamilton County:

There's also a Thunderbolt 1000 on top of Park Place at Lytle in downtown Cincinnati, a 1000T on top of the Potter Stewart Courthouse, a 1000T at the corner of West Liberty Street and Linn Street on top of a firehouse, a 1000T on top of the YMCA in downtown Cincinnati, a 1000T on top of the School for Creative and Performing Arts Center, and an unknown model Thunderbolt on top of the old Hudepohl brewery at the corner of West 6th Street and Hudepohl Street in downtown Cincinnati.

Glad to help! :)
Last edited by Josh R on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

Return to “Siren Maps”