StonedChipmunk

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:45 pm

Robert Gift wrote:Aurora has banned potbellied pigs. We're hoping to move to Denver.
That's stupid. BTW, your location says Denver...
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:29 pm

THE TEST :D !!!

I had time Sunday, so I did a little more fine-tuning of the installation, then checked the area with binoculars to make sure nobody was nearby on a horse, or any obvious dangers were present. I have not yet done anything about the inoperative rotator. I don't want the horn to rotate anyhow because I am worried it might crack windows in the house. But I will repair the problem and just leave it switched to not rotate.

The video was a .avi file when I uploaded it to Photobucket, but now it's a .flv file, whatever that is... Hopefully it should play with most players.

For whatever reason, the circuit breaker at the power source tripped during the test. That's why, in the video, the blower cuts out before the chopper winds all the way down. I hope I don't have a bad blower motor. The specs show 34 amps run current, with 54 amps start current. The breaker is a 60-amp HVAC type, and I ran #6 wire all the way (less than 50 feet.) That breaker is an old one that hasn't been used in years, so maybe it's faulty. I hope so! In the growl test that I did last week, I had the siren fed from a 40-amp circuit, and that didn't blow. Also strange that it tripped after I had stopped the power to the chopper. Hmmmm.

Charles

LINK TO VIDEO ON PHOTOBUCKET:

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m174 ... tVideo.flv

Until I get an AR timer, I have installed this key-lock switch in a place where I can sit "out of sight" and run the siren.

Last edited by kx250rider on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Robert Gift

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:42 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:That's stupid. BTW, your location says Denver...
Denver is a better landmark. Few would know where Aurora is.

Yes, if they're going to ban an animal, it should be dogs.
Dogs bark loudly day and night.
They roam, chase and bite pets and people.
Their waste is everywhere in parks. (I pick up after my Chesapeake Bay Retriever.)

Piganini was quiet. He talked and only squealed if greatly distressed.
Waste only in certain areas of the yard. Being mostly "herbiboar" the odor was slight and not unpleasant and soon dried out and disintegrated into the soil.
He never chased or bit.
But he never brought the paper.
His ears perked up when he heard Aurora's Whelens tested twice a year.

Robert Gift

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:55 pm

Congratulations, KX!

Is the key the switch, or does it unlock to a switch inside.

If your motor did not trip the 40 amp breaker, the 60 amp must be faulty.
I'd expect a faulty motor to trip the 40 amp.

Why bother with an AR timer? Aren't they expensive?
Besides, I'd rather sound the siren then have a timer do it.

We need a timer in case no one is present.

I'd stand holding my ears right in front of the horn to feel the virations on my chest.
Might be good for congestion.

StonedChipmunk

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Robert Gift wrote:
StonedChipmunk wrote:That's stupid. BTW, your location says Denver...
Denver is a better landmark. Few would know where Aurora is.

Yes, if they're going to ban an animal, it should be dogs.
Dogs bark loudly day and night.
They roam, chase and bite pets and people.
Their waste is everywhere in parks. (I pick up after my Chesapeake Bay Retriever.)

Piganini was quiet. He talked and only squealed if greatly distressed.
Waste only in certain areas of the yard. Being mostly "herbiboar" the odor was slight and not unpleasant and soon dried out and disintegrated into the soil.
He never chased or bit.
But he never brought the paper.
His ears perked up when he heard Aurora's Whelens tested twice a year.
Everything about others' dogs pisses me off. They attack people (sometimes with aim to harm) everywhere they go and they crap all over everything with no respect for others' property. Furthermore, they never shut up at night and I spend many sleepless nights aiming my slingshot in the neighbors' backyard >.> (Of course, I've had a dog before and she was amazingly trained - she would never attack people, and she obeyed everything we said. Almost like a slave. Except she never worked. Kinda.)
Everything you said about your pig was cute, until I realized it was a pig - then all the thoughts disappeared. I dunno, having a pig for a pet... hey, we're all weird in some form or another.

Anyways, finally! This is the kind of thing I wait for huddled in a corner in a fetal position. You've made my day with this - not really, since I've had a hell of a day already (see "Duck Day" Firetruck Sirens in Other Warnings), but you get the picture ^.^

I'd place my bets on a faulty breaker. Since you had the 40-amp breaker before and it didn't cut the power, there's probably nothing else wrong. Is that the reason why the siren seems a bit low-pitched? The chopper motor may not be getting enough current, or maybe it's a low-pitched chopper. Or maybe my ears are still broken (see post I mentioned above).

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:12 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:Anyways, finally! This is the kind of thing I wait for huddled in a corner in a fetal position. You've made my day with this - not really, since I've had a hell of a day already (see "Duck Day" Firetruck Sirens in Other Warnings), but you get the picture ^.^

I'd place my bets on a faulty breaker. Since you had the 40-amp breaker before and it didn't cut the power, there's probably nothing else wrong. Is that the reason why the siren seems a bit low-pitched? The chopper motor may not be getting enough current, or maybe it's a low-pitched chopper. Or maybe my ears are still broken (see post I mentioned above).
Robert Gift wrote:Congratulations, KX!

Is the key the switch, or does it unlock to a switch inside.

If your motor did not trip the 40 amp breaker, the 60 amp must be faulty.
I'd expect a faulty motor to trip the 40 amp.

Why bother with an AR timer? Aren't they expensive?
Besides, I'd rather sound the siren then have a timer do it.

We need a timer in case no one is present.

I'd stand holding my ears right in front of the horn to feel the virations on my chest.
Might be good for congestion.

I bet faulty breaker too... And on the pitch, I have the chopper connected to the middle voltage tap (terminal 5,) which is the factory setting. I can switch it to a higher or lower voltage. Lots to play with!

The key switch is the same type that they use for an outdoor burglar alarm switch, etc. Just a momentary contact keyed switch. I had a couple of them lying around, or I probably would have just used a regular doorbell button. I mainly want an AR timer just so I have "a complete outfit."

Charles

Robert Gift

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:...your pig was cute, until I realized it was a pig - then all the thoughts disappeared. I dunno, having a pig for a pet... hey, we're all weird in some form or another.
Piganini was a babe magnet! He was so cute. Everyone paid attention to him rather than Chessie.
He was much lower maintenence than Chessie, who shed and had to be brushed.
He ate the weeds and grass and kept the lawn nicely trimmed around the trees and along the fence.
He also liked to go for walks when we took Chessie.
He'd make an utterance and his hair would stand up on his neck and back when he heard Aurora's Whelens. One time, I was not even aware of the Whelens until he reacted!

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:27 pm

Robert Gift wrote:
StonedChipmunk wrote:...your pig was cute, until I realized it was a pig - then all the thoughts disappeared. I dunno, having a pig for a pet... hey, we're all weird in some form or another.
Piganini was a babe magnet! He was so cute. Everyone paid attention to him rather than Chessie.
He was much lower maintenence than Chessie, who shed and had to be brushed.
He ate the weeds and grass and kept the lawn nicely trimmed around the trees and along the fence.
He also liked to go for walks when we took Chessie.
He'd make an utterance and his hair would stand up on his neck and back when he heard Aurora's Whelens. One time, I was not even aware of the Whelens until he reacted!
This branch of the thread has been transplanted here http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1636

:wink:

Charles

Robert Gift

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:34 pm

kx250rider wrote:...I have the chopper connected to the middle voltage tap (terminal 5,) which is the factory setting. I can switch it to a higher or lower voltage. Lots to play with!
Yes, that is fun! I'd try the lowest to feel it.
Even try slowing the chopper to really low frequencies to feel the percussive vibrations - you may have a new therapeutic device there!
kx250rider wrote:The key switch is the same type that they use for an outdoor burglar alarm switch, etc. Just a momentary contact keyed switch. I had a couple of them lying around, or I probably would have just used a regular doorbell button. I mainly want an AR timer just so I have "a complete outfit. "Charles
Understandable.
Maybe you and I will be competing for one.
Tornadoes? You ain't got no stinkin' tornadoes!!

Hey! Thanks for the transplant KX !

StonedChipmunk

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:38 pm

They had an AR on eBay a while ago. Probably ended just a few hours ago.

I'd get an AR timer if I were you. The TEST button I think is a momentary switch, isn't it? So you can have fun messing around with that, too.

How about you set the voltage to the highest and lowest possible, then take test vids? It would be really helpful to compare the high and low of Thunderbolts for us Tbolt buffs :wink:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”