Robert Gift

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:40 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:Yes I know discussing lawsuits is fine, but if you remember last time we discussed lawsuits about EV equipment usage...
But that was a valid and eye-opening part of the discussion. (Did I start that thread?)
StonedChipmunk wrote:My apologies to Robert for bringing this back up, but I don't want it to happen again. Learn from our past experiences people!
Personally, I prefer LED TAs (traffic advisors) over halogen, due to the power needed to run the halogens as compared to the LEDs. Plus, LEDs are much brighter and don't experience that "lag time" that occurs when a regular halogen turns on or off. LED's can flash much more intricate patterns. Personally, I once saw a TA that, instead of keeping all the lights on, it did a "chase" pattern (only one section on at a time) that had a sort of "quad flash" when the section turned on. Maybe I'll make a GIF image of it. It was really, really cool (but probably ineffective).
I like the LEDs because their colors are so rich, and such low power consumption and they don't have filaments which eventually fracture.
Also, as filament illuminations add up, the lumen output degrades.

The LED instant on and instant off attracts gaze.
Strobes have a problem with high voltage being shorted by moisture, and the tubes do wear out.

StonedChipmunk

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:30 pm

True, most strobes I've seen wear out after around a year of use (not continuously, of course). It's not bad wear and tear, but I can tell just a bit...
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

q2bman

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:26 pm

Yes, the lense and reflectors gat all hazey from the heat and sun. Why can't they develope a technology that inhibits that! They better soon with these LEDs having such a long life.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:31 pm

q2bman wrote:Yes, the lense and reflectors gat all hazey from the heat and sun. Why can't they develope a technology that inhibits that! They better soon with these LEDs having such a long life.
I wouldn't doubt they do it to sell more expensive Lexan covers. (They also sell a special polish, too.)

loudmouth

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:43 pm

all you need to do is use a fine grint sand paper and some plastic polish and you will get rid of this haze.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”