Jim_Ferer

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:05 pm

soundoff wrote:By the way, I remember on the old board that someone said it is safe to stand directly under a directional siren as the sound is projected away from you. Someone else said he had also stood under an Allertor or some other ACA/American Signal siren that was operating and it the sound was not very loud but you could also hear the motor and the gear drives in the rotator.
Nobody can tell you categorically that it will be "safe" to stand directly under the siren, but it's true that the sound is less than if you're in the cone of sound out in front of the projector. The closer to being on axis [level] with the siren the louder it gets.

AllSafe

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:52 pm

4fr, where is that Ruidoso siren? Looks like Colorado.
Actually it is in New Mexico. The name means noisy in Spanish btw.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:13 pm

douro20 wrote:
4fr, where is that Ruidoso siren? Looks like Colorado.
The name means noisy in Spanish btw.
That explains why they have so many sirens! :D

Thunderbolt 612

P-50/T-135 at its extreme!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:16 pm

In the case of the Thunderbolt, I wonder what it would be like to sit on the horn while the siren is going off. :D

Robert Gift

Re: P-50/T-135 at its extreme!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Thunderbolt 612 wrote:In the case of the Thunderbolt, I wonder what it would be like to sit on the horn while the siren is going off.
I wondered that, too... I'd do it but it's not designed for such load/abuse.
I would want to hold it to feel any resultant vibrations. But then my ears would be exposed. Must borrow my tree company ear protection we wear against chainsaw and chipper noise. Does anyone still use those "siren" tree chippers? They are so dangerous, maybe they are outlawed. They can pull you in and through before you can react.

danwisbey85

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Would anyone stand under a Carters?
I wouldn't, as you can't due to the stator design, it would blast down directly at you!

Dan.

Robert Gift

Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:05 pm

I would - if I could hold my ears closed.
Doesn't a Carters siren have two rotor/stators horizontally mounted on each end of a center motor? There would be little directionality.
They would broadcast sound better if vertically situated.

Thunderbolt 612

Wed May 16, 2007 8:20 pm

Returning to the P-50, I wonder what the sound output would be like with a 100HP motor, except that it would be called the Penetrator-100.

Jim_Ferer

Re: P-50/T-135 at its extreme!

Wed May 16, 2007 10:17 pm

Robert Gift, A&A wrote:
Thunderbolt 612 wrote:In the case of the Thunderbolt, I wonder what it would be like to sit on the horn while the siren is going off.
I wondered that, too... I'd do it but it's not designed for such load/abuse.
I would want to hold it to feel any resultant vibrations. But then my ears would be exposed. Must borrow my tree company ear protection we wear against chainsaw and chipper noise. Does anyone still use those "siren" tree chippers? They are so dangerous, maybe they are outlawed. They can pull you in and through before you can react.
You'd lose your hearing. Above a certain level high noises go right through your head. Some sirens have stickers warning of instantaneous permanent hearing loss.

The latest thing now is active noise reduction headsets combined with internal earplugs and digital noise canceling microphones for communication. The Navy is looking to change from cranial helmets to something incorporating an active noise reducer. Their flight decks are the loudest workplaces known.

Thunderbolt 612

Thu May 17, 2007 12:13 am

What would the decibel rating be of the prototype P-100?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”