pyramid head

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:16 pm

I am thinking of ways to paint it, like have flames on the top louver and ice/blue spikes on the bottom one. Also, I was planning on having it removed with a bucket truck, but my mom's boyfriend suggested that we just take the entire pole. He wants to take his tractor and line it up with the pole so the bucket would be holding it in air. We would chain the pole to the bucket while it is raised all the way, then cut the pole. I would think of brining a "come-a-long" and loop it around the non-chained part. the pole would be cut slow so it drops onto the bucket slow, and some one would use the come-a-long to tighten the top, non-chained half to the bucket. after all the tightening is done, lover it and take the housing off, toss the whole setup on a trailer and leave. *keep in mind!* I do not like this idea, but I am glad that he thinks we can use the pole for the siren at home. I need ot ask the fire department guy if we can take the electrical boxes and the pole first (I hope he says no to the pole). They were planning on selling that siren on Ebay before I called him! :lol: I would just prefer taking the siren off with the bucket truck, and not risk killing it. the electrical boxes are something I really think should go with the siren as well.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:08 pm

pyramid head wrote:I am thinking of ways to paint it, like have flames on the top louver and ice/blue spikes on the bottom one. Also, I was planning on having it removed with a bucket truck, but my mom's boyfriend suggested that we just take the entire pole. He wants to take his tractor and line it up with the pole so the bucket would be holding it in air. We would chain the pole to the bucket while it is raised all the way, then cut the pole. I would think of brining a "come-a-long" and loop it around the non-chained part. the pole would be cut slow so it drops onto the bucket slow, and some one would use the come-a-long to tighten the top, non-chained half to the bucket. after all the tightening is done, lover it and take the housing off, toss the whole setup on a trailer and leave. *keep in mind!* I do not like this idea, but I am glad that he thinks we can use the pole for the siren at home. I need ot ask the fire department guy if we can take the electrical boxes and the pole first (I hope he says no to the pole). They were planning on selling that siren on Ebay before I called him! :lol: I would just prefer taking the siren off with the bucket truck, and not risk killing it. the electrical boxes are something I really think should go with the siren as well.
I'm sure the controls were included in the siren price. You have an interesting idea with the tractor. If you decide to do the removal like that, take lots of pictures! Be careful of the pole teetering to one side or the other and falling if your only using one rope, especially something top heavy like that.

pyramid head

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:41 pm

Oh, how rude of me! I forgot to give you guys some pictures of the siren where it sits now! Here you go siren fans, my little collection of this beauty.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

SirenMadness

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:43 pm

The Model 3 looks like a steam-whistle, in the first picture. :)
~ Peter Radanovic

pyramid head

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Hoy crap it does! :lol:

AllSafe

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:51 pm

It's three-phase! Do you have a source of three-phase power on which you could run it?
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

pyramid head

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:13 am

Three phase? I have had three people tell me it looks to be single phase. The three wires in the bottom of the power meter box is a power-neutral-and another power one. I don't have three phase up here, but even if it ends up being three phase I can use a three phase generator at the fire station.

pyramid head

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:18 pm

Well, I now don't have a bucket truck to do this with...but the siren is 1952 vintage as I have been told.

Thunderbolt 612

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:03 pm

Returning to the steam whistle appearance, maybe Federal designed the shape of the Model sirens after the steam whistle.

pyramid head

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Federal made their design for sound projection. The sound from the siren is bounced off the bottom louver into a spreading pattern for maximum coverage. So as for your question, I would not think so. *What tools will I need on this siren removal quest?*

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”