Jim_Ferer

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:01 pm

Chinese ripoffs of other people's designs are huge problems in every area of manufactured goods. Sirens are one tenth of a thousandth of a percent of the problem.

MightyThunderbolt

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Last I looked, this did not see any arguements here. In my eyes, its just different people sharing their opinions. I see nothing wrong with that. 8)

Elliott

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:41 pm

Whats next, an ARRERTOR? :lol:
Kidding aside, I say if it contributes to the safety for that country's people, then so be it. It is a working design, and if they can replicate it cheaper and save their gov't money, then go for it. No reason to be hatin'!!!
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

Chad

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:44 pm

US Patents do not apply to China. Unlike most people think, the United States does not own the world.

He is probably reselling the sirens, not manufacturing them.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:56 am

Patents are usually transnational because of a variety of treaties, and both the US and China are signatories to the Patent Cooperation Treaty and the Paris Convention. IOW, China shouldn't be infringing patents.

Having said that, a lot of the patents we're talking about might have expired. They're only for seventeen years unless the patents are renewed.

Copying of patented designs and technology by Chinese firms is a major issue. Both Honda and Toyota have sued Chinese companies for copying their car designs wholesale.

Let me repeat what I posted on the old board. This is guaranteed to be Lion King Siren's most original design, and we're not likely to see it here, except that a sound level contest with teams would be hysterical:

Chad

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:17 am

Have we confirmed that they are actually manufacturing them? Is there any evidence to substantiate this? It looks like they are buying the sirens, sticking their logo over the "FS", and shipping them to customers.

Like Jim pointed out, they have some original designs of their own. You can't fault them for trying, especially in a communist country where running your own business is frowned upon.

FirstSiren2T22
YouTube Username: MarcBookPro

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:47 am

Has anyone ever seen a pic of one of their sirens in the wild? I've only seen pics of them with a white background. I haven't posted on this board in a long time, so newer pics of their sirens might have come out that I haven't seen.

I visited their website and got a JavaScript message telling me that their website only worked in IE 4 and up when the website looked just fine in Safari. Kinda strange.

Judging by the pics on their website, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about, maybe except the Model 2 look alike. If they didn't have a real website with copyrights and everything, I'd think they were just playing around in Photoshop to mess around with us, but I don't believe that's the case now.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:53 am

This is from Lion King's website:

"Taizhou Lion King Signal Co., Ltd. is a professional company specialized in making various sirens. Our sirens, with the proven technology, superior performance and best quality, are widely used by Chinese military and police departments, and are also popular in Europe, US, Asia, Middle East nad Afreca, etc...."

Can't say I've ever seen one here, but unless they didn't paint over the sticker we might not know.

One point I was trying to make is that copying of designs by Chinese firms is a major international trade issue and has been for a while. The same goes for all sorts of intellectual property, including pirated movies and music. A guy I know involved in international trade says the Chinese are only interested in technology transfers.

Besides, what we know is that these sirens look like sirens we're familiar with. I don't think you can patent a chicken feeder enclosure, or horns attached to each port. The Big Joe copy is a little harder to explain, but for the most part a siren is a motor, shaft, rotor, stator, enclosure and controls. The Chinese don't need help on controls.

I wonder what a knockoff of a Thunderbolt would look like...

Robert Gift

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:21 pm

My wife is native Chinese.
She say, "China company copy evly thing."
They do not honor copyrights or patents.
They could care less.

But, most of their siren designs are probably original.
Easier to come up with their own design improved over existing American designs, than copy older siren designs.

Chinese "rocket" design may just happen to resemble American rocket designs simply because it is a good, efficient, compact design - not because they are copying anyone else.
(Just as many automobiles resemble each other because they are all designing them to be more aerodynamic.)

I must admit, their >E[]) design seems a better design than the Federal Signal rocket design.
Also, their rotor stops so it's vanes block the ports, so no need for a screen!

But, in China I saw what I thought were Federal Signal Streethawk lightbars.
I believe they are direct illegal copies.
Surprised they just don't come up with an even better design than the Streethawk.

mgear

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:48 pm

And maybe they were the first to make those models but most likely not.

"Taizhou Lion King Signal Co., Ltd. is a professional company specialized in making various sirens. Our sirens, with the proven technology, superior performance and best quality, are widely used by Chinese military and police departments, and are also popular in Europe, US, Asia, Middle East nad Afreca, etc...." Hahaha it says nad Afreca .
Sean Matt

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”