Spotter/Chaser

Emergency Alarms sounding at high school in Enterprise

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:39 am

On all of the news reports of the devastating tornado that struck the high school in Enterprise, Alabama this afternoon, one can hear an alarm system sounding in the background. It sounds to me as if this was a regular fire alarm system. Does anyone know if the school used the fire alarm system to alert the students and teachers to take cover from the impending tornado? Or was the fire alarm simply activated during the destruction of the building by the tornado?

Robert Gift

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:33 pm

A fire alarm would compel everyone to go outside, where they could be more severely hurt by a tornado.

I bet (hope) this was an involuntary activation.

So sorry to learn of deaths and injuries.
Did they use the best shelter in the school; small rooms, bathrooms, closets, interior hallways, etc.?

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Anyone know if these towns that got hit have warning siren systems?

Whelen Rules

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:43 pm

Robert Gift wrote:A fire alarm would compel everyone to go outside, where they could be more severely hurt by a tornado.

I bet (hope) this was an involuntary activation.

So sorry to learn of deaths and injuries.
Did they use the best shelter in the school; small rooms, bathrooms, closets, interior hallways, etc.?
Nope unfortunately the teachers and staff moved everyone to a gymnasium which is a very bad place to be during tornadoes, because of the weak structural integrity of large open buildings like gynasiums, malls, etc.
Tyler Lund

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:56 pm

Enterprise has at least a Whelen Vortex/4000. I have a photo of it from August 2006.

Spotter/Chaser

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:34 pm

According to The Weather Channel and CNN, there were sirens being sounded in the community. As for the alarm system in the building, it was ringing as the rescuers went through the wreckage. Believe it or not, I have heard of schools and office buildings activating their fire alarm systems to alert occupants during tornado warnings. Hopefully they would have security or other people at the exits to direct people to the shelter areas.

ThunderboltFreak

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:16 am

I live in Birmingham, Al. Enterprise is just a short drive away. We got hit here in Birmingham pretty hard too, but notas much as Enterprise.
Assistant Store Manager at GameStop.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 am

Whoever thought of the plan to let the kids seek shelter in the gym is an outright idiot. I live on the coast of NC and we never get tornadoes (only waterspouts). I've been through 2 tornado drills when I was in gym class (once in middle school, once in high school) and both times we'd walk out of the gym and "duck and cover" in the hallway away from the windows.

Robert Gift

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:10 am

I believe those students in the gym had gone in there on their own.
They were not following directives.

Best place is in the smallest interior rooms, like closets, bathrooms, hallways, offices.

Spotter/Chaser

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:04 am

JasonC wrote:Whoever thought of the plan to let the kids seek shelter in the gym is an outright idiot. I live on the coast of NC and we never get tornadoes (only waterspouts). I've been through 2 tornado drills when I was in gym class (once in middle school, once in high school) and both times we'd walk out of the gym and "duck and cover" in the hallway away from the windows.
I also think they went into the gym on their own. They likely were directed to take cover in the hallways. Some of them died in one hallway, but many more survived. I think the school officials did the right thing in making the students remain in the building instead of allowing them to leave immediately prior to the storm's arrival.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”