Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Well, Another Thunderbolt gone.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:57 pm

2 Weeks ago, the Thunderbolt 1000T On West ave. In La Crosse, WI Came down. a 2001-130 Replaced it. The Thunderbolt was installed in the 1970's amd Served La Crosse for around 40 years Before coming down on 8/11/11. The siren was abandoned in place for several years Before coming down. And It was the first T-bolt I ever saw Before the Cobb Co. Station 19 T-bolt. We saw it on the way to Canada for my Older Cousin's Wedding in 2009. We saw it on the way to some Grill or something.

Heres a picture of it:

Now, a YT Vid of it's Death (Credit goes to Dpcomm1 for the video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aqlWKzvSQ

RIP West Ave. Thunderbolt

197?-2011
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

BadgerSiren

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Dang. Dane County has begun replacing Thunderbolts too, see this thread. I can't say I'm too surprised though, 'Bolts are expensive to maintain and repair. Also the whole battery backup thing is important.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 am

In case you didn't already see it, here's what happened to it:

http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=11309
-Ian M.

EL1998P71

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:50 am

What I don't get is why would someone remove all the sheet metal and horn from a siren and just not just remove it intact? Makes me wonder if the siren in Ian's link is not the same one in the video above? Very weird.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:26 am

What I don't get is why would someone remove all the sheet metal and horn from a siren and just not just remove it intact? Makes me wonder if the siren in Ian's link is not the same one in the video above? Very weird.
Yeah. I thought the exact same thing. That looked to me like one of us removed the thing. Like it was removed piece by piece by someone with limited resources.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

JackT2356
YouTube Username: BNSF Lover

Re: Well, Another Thunderbolt gone.

Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:17 am

Brendan W wrote:
2 Weeks ago, the Thunderbolt 1000T On West ave. In La Crosse, WI Came down. a 2001-130 Replaced it. The Thunderbolt was installed in the 1970's amd Served La Crosse for around 40 years Before coming down on 8/11/11. The siren was abandoned in place for several years Before coming down. And It was the first T-bolt I ever saw Before the Cobb Co. Station 19 T-bolt. We saw it on the way to Canada for my Older Cousin's Wedding in 2009. We saw it on the way to some Grill or something.

Heres a picture of it:

197?-2011
Hello Brendan. Sorry to bump this post. I recently found this post when I was looking around at if there was talk of Thunderbolts from La Crosse, WI. Maybe you have seen my posts from a few years ago, but I am in possession of the Thunderbolt currently. The picture is it set up in the garage, with my Model 2- from 2020. I saw you had attached a picture of it, but it is not being displayed on the post. Sadly, there are not many pictures of the West Avenue Thunderbolt that are good quality- of when it was still up in La Crosse. I was wondering if you were to have that picture around still? It would be really cool for me to see a picture of it that I haven't seen before. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG-4976.jpg
IMG-4976.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 8470 times
Jack Tischer
Siren and train enthusiast in West Central WI.
I currently own a FS Thunderbolt 1000AT and a FS Model 2-220.
My YouTube Channel
Sirens of La Crosse County, WI Map

traintraveler
YouTube Username: Train Traveler

Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:00 am

JackT2356 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:17 am
Brendan W wrote:

Heres a picture of it:

197?-2011
Hello Brendan. Sorry to bump this post. I recently found this post when I was looking around at if there was talk of Thunderbolts from La Crosse, WI. Maybe you have seen my posts from a few years ago, but I am in possession of the Thunderbolt currently. The picture is it set up in the garage, with my Model 2- from 2020. I saw you had attached a picture of it, but it is not being displayed on the post. Sadly, there are not many pictures of the West Avenue Thunderbolt that are good quality- of when it was still up in La Crosse. I was wondering if you were to have that picture around still? It would be really cool for me to see a picture of it that I haven't seen before. Thank you!
1. Thank you for bumping this thread, as it unlocked a childhood memory I had lost for several years.
2. Congratulations on getting the bolt! I was afraid this one was scrapped and gone forever. I hope it treats ya well.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

JackT2356
YouTube Username: BNSF Lover

Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:38 pm

Thank you! I am also glad it did not end up being scrapped, like so many others are. Occasionally we will run the chopper on 120 volts, and it still runs very smoothly. I'd imagine the rotator motor and the blower motor would run good as well- but we don't have 3 phase power at out house. We have a standard plug connected to the chopper wiring- it's fun to run it for people. The neighbors think its really cool! It was also fun running it at my graduation party which was in the garage. I'd really like to try to install a table saw motor that I saved- onto the blower. A few years ago we took the blower cover off and were able to spin the blower by hand, as well as with the shop vac. That was cool to make it louder than normal.
Jack Tischer
Siren and train enthusiast in West Central WI.
I currently own a FS Thunderbolt 1000AT and a FS Model 2-220.
My YouTube Channel
Sirens of La Crosse County, WI Map

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”