Jim_Ferer

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:59 pm

As long as you don't get small particles of lead paint in the air it's good. Adam Smith (the board owner) used Citrasolv to strip the paint of a Tbolt he restored. He brushed it on, left it to work, and then wiped it off. I don't know how many times he had to apply it.

A pressure washer is absolutely no good because you're scattering the stuff everywhere. Ingesting it is as bad as breathing it.

Wear rubber gloves and do the work wet on top of a dropcloth. Wash yourself thoroughly before eating, drinking, or smoking. Wear old clothes just to do this and then throw them away when the project is done, unless you can get a Tyvek suit somewhere.

Anything you strip off should be saved in an old paint can or something similar and taken to your next household hazardous waste day. Call your town dump to find out when the next one is.

Lead paint stopped being used in the early '70s or so, so anything older is likely to have it. The only way to know would be to have it tested, and it's probably easier and cheaper just to assume it is. Lead poisoning is serious business, especially the younger you are. It affects your kidneys, reproductive system, and nervous system. Chromium is found in a lot of paints and that's no fun, either; the precautions are the same.

pyramid head

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:59 pm

So what would i do with the old wiring? Would i replace it with new stuff and toss the old wiring in with the paint hazmat bucket?
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Jim_Ferer

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:47 pm

Unless the wire covering is coming off, just leave it. If you have to remove the wires, put them in something for the hazwaste. I can't tell you how to tell asbestos insulation; I usually know it when I see it, but there's no way to describe it. The two wires on the right in the photo have asbestos insulation.

pyramid head

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:14 am

Like you said, if there is no problems with the original wiring i will just leave it alone to avoid contact with any threats. Great info is provided in here, thank you all for your answers! :D But now does anybody have measurement of one? such as height and length ect...

pyramid head

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:02 pm

Was there a low tone model of the Sterling "M" ever made? I know the regular ones have a very stupidly high tone to them. What is the port ratio on M's?

Thunderbolt 612

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:02 pm

Most of the M's had 16 blades, but some had low pitch 8 blade, and dual tone 8/16, which makes it more of an octave rather than dual tone.

Archon

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:05 pm

Steling M-5 were 8/16 or 16/16 or 8/8.

pyramid head

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:47 pm

What was the point in having two of the same port count? like 16/16 and 8/8? Does anybody have a recording of a Sterling? ~please do not direct me to youtube! :)

SirenMadness

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:55 pm

Sterlings were fire-alert sirens, so they had to be distinguished from public-warning sirens; that's what I think.
~ Peter Radanovic

pyramid head

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:09 pm

If it was a Sterling with the 16/16 port set-up that a fire station used, that would mean all the other warning sirens would be lower tone or dual tone right?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”