pyramid head

Sterling model M

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:42 pm

Please give me all of the information you have on the Sterling model M. This would include size dimensions, weight and dcb out put/history.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:24 pm

The M10 is 115dB@100'. Weighs about 200 lbs.
-The Princess

pyramid head

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:31 am

200 pounds is easy lifting, i should have no problem moving a Sterling around. go to the place of pick up with a friend and toss it in the back by hand. sounds good to me! thank you for the DCB rating and weight. now for dimensions?

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:44 am

pyramid head wrote:200 pounds is easy lifting, i should have no problem moving a Sterling around. go to the place of pick up with a friend and toss it in the back by hand. sounds good to me! thank you for the DCB rating and weight. now for dimensions?
I'd recommend getting at least 3 people to help you lift, and the use of a hand truck or dolly to load and unload. I have an M-5 and it's not all that easy to move around. I'd say it weighs easily 300lb. But you can easily bolt on heavy duty casters to the base which would make it very easy to move around. despite this they're great sirens to have.

Archon

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:28 am

I agree I have 2 of them and they are heavy Older ones ten to be heaver as older style motors were built bigger.

pyramid head

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:15 pm

ok, thats still good. my truck have a bench seat :D but now i have a weird question for you, if someone was to put there finger in one of the slots before the siren was turned on,would the siren be strong enough to rip there finger off? ~just as a visual for me to see how strong these things really are without trying this myself :shock:

SirenMadness

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:23 pm

If the motor is at least a horsepower, you can tell. You can even get cut with a blender below one horsepower.
~ Peter Radanovic

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:14 pm

pyramid head wrote:ok, thats still good. my truck have a bench seat :D but now i have a weird question for you, if someone was to put there finger in one of the slots before the siren was turned on,would the siren be strong enough to rip there finger off? ~just as a visual for me to see how strong these things really are without trying this myself :shock:
Any outdoor siren, even a 2 will easily remove a finger. Remember the rotors on these sirens spin at the least 3300RPM. Even at a slow speed they can cause a nasty injury.

Jim_Ferer

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:32 pm

A siren will take your finger off instantly, and most can cause instantaneous permanent hearing loss as well. You have to be very sure to disconnect the power source before fiddling with one in any way. Make sure no idiot can turn the power on screwing around or by honest mistake. If the power is coming from a switch box, you have to throw the switch and put a padlock through the hole so it can't be closed. Whatever it takes.

pyramid head

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:37 pm

:shock: Holy crap! They are a bit strong then! Iguess it would be best to strip the pint with a gas mask then? Sterling has not been around for a while, so i would suspect all M's to have some kind of bad stuff on them. We have a pressure washer, would this be a good way to remove the paint? I know you can carve your name in a piece of wood with it!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”