FederalSignalGuy

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:59 pm

You guys do know that Federal does test their sirens outdoors, with a certified accoustical company (Shiner), and they have documentation of these tests, which are sent to customers.

I also believe that Whelen has some documentation, but I don't believe that ASC does, and I'm sure that Sentry does not.

SIRENMAN

Federal Testing

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:17 am

BULLSH** : I do not believe it. Prove it: Post it:

ASC tests their siren by Tronca and Associates and ASC has always set the standard for testing according to ANSI12.14.

Crazywarriorman
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Re: Federal Testing

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:58 am

SIRENMAN wrote:BULLSH** : I do not believe it. Prove it: Post it:

ASC tests their siren by Tronca and Associates and ASC has always set the standard for testing according to ANSI12.14.
:shock: Nothing to get all worked up about! It's just a siren company! Not a nuclear weapons plant. LOL :shock:
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

FederalSignalGuy

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Could not find anything on Tronca & Associates, still can't find a website. I know that Federal has always used Shiner & Associates. I did find shiner reports with outdoor testing done on the MOD6048, EOWS612 and the 2001DC Siren from back in 1988, when it came out.

I also have anechoic chamber testing conducted by Shiner on the 2001-130 and Eclipse.

Thats the reason I joined this site, because I love the fact that everyone has something to offer, and their own opinion on sirens and manufacturers. I have my preferences, of course I love the Federal stuff, but I have been around it for 20 years.

r4tbolts

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:38 am

Hate to jump in on an old thread but here goes on why all the "Federal hate" Let me first say I think the sirens they market are good sirens and not junk but leave much to be desired.

Federal, with the T-bolts and many other older sirens they marketed/produced back in the day were the warhorse of sirens and have a stellar track record. Dual tones, lower single tones that carried a punch and were the king of sirens along with the ACA stuff from way back. Single tone model 5's carried a bigger attention getting coverage than the 2001's. The 2001's, single toned high pitched wail failed to live up to the expectations of many including me.

When the big "upgrade" to 2001's happened here I can recall a couple of articles in the local paper stating the new sirens (2001's) could be heard up to 4 miles (perhaps by a dog or bat maybe). I will add many more 2001's have since been purchased becuase of resident complaints "we didn't hear the sirens". I'll take the old model 5's on the poles or on top of a school over a 2001 any day of the week.

One t-bolt here in town still remains and it will out do the other 5 2001's within the City unless one lives a few blocks away from the 2001. In the dead of night a year ago at 1 am it was the 28 year old t-bolt downtown rather than the 2001 a 1/2 mile away that woke the family up for a tornado warning.

2001's might be great for those that never had sirens before but then again so would ATI's. Take a poll of those who grew up with t-bolts or Allertors and I bet 9 to 1 those people would choose the old sirens over the 2001.
Last edited by r4tbolts on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crazywarriorman
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:37 am

See, what I don't get is all the hate for the 2001. I don't believe federal has gotten any complaints about it, and I have never seen one fly apart on start-up or blow up while it was running. In all the towns I've lived in that had a 2001, I've never had a problem with them. I was always able to hear them during the worst storms. Also, like r4tbolts mentioned above about the downtown tbolt and 1/2 mile away 2001, how far the sound travels depends on the wind and alot of other factors, not just the pitch or sound. Not trying to start anything with anyone here, I just don't see why we all hate the 2001. It does it's job, and that seems good enough for me.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

SIRENMAN

testing

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:03 am

I am not knocking the 2001 just the companies business practices of fraudulent advertising and misleading the public with false statements and fixing the tests to fit their desires to keep up with ASC. Federal Signal is afraid to test their siren according to ANSI S12.14 as they would have to lower the db rating and range of the siren. I have no problem with Federal advertising the 2001-130's range of 2500' and the proper db rating.

As I previously stated PROVE and POST the test according to ANSI S12.14 of the 2001-130. IT DOES NOT EXIST. To be fair I do agree the 2001 is a reliable siren that does its job to warn the people outdoors as long as you are within a quarter mile.

Federal Signal Guy here is a previous topic that will shed light on the testing procedure. I will bring the testing for the ASC T-128 that was done according to ANSI S12.14 by the book and the law and is the only company that can say that and stand behind it.

Here is the link and I reposted the topic to the top.

http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... si+testing

Sirenguy02

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:26 am

Crazywarriorman wrote:See, what I don't get is all the hate for the 2001. I don't believe federal has gotten any complaints about it, and I have never seen one fly apart on start-up or blow up while it was running. In all the towns I've lived in that had a 2001, I've never had a problem with them. I was always able to hear them during the worst storms. Also, like r4tbolts mentioned above about the downtown tbolt and 1/2 mile away 2001, how far the sound travels depends on the wind and alot of other factors, not just the pitch or sound. Not trying to start anything with anyone here, I just don't see why we all hate the 2001. It does it's job, and that seems good enough for me.
Well said +1 for you.
~Mitchell Tsokatos
Owner of a P-10 and Model L

uncommonsense

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:08 am

I gotta second Crazywarriorman here. I've always questioned the hate for the 2001. Yeah, its got a higher pitch, but just as he said, pitch isn't everything.

What is everything:

1) The siren gets the job done. I live in Springfield, MO, which is 2001 territory. There has yet to be a time when the sirens did not activate and warn the public.

2) The siren is audible. Again, I've never had a problem hearing the 2001s while on campus or off. They spread.

3) The siren is attention getting. Some say the 2001 sounds like a fire truck. Trust me, when those 2001s are going off, you aren't mistaking it for a fire truck. You know its bad news. High pitched? Yes. Generic? Well, as long as it alerts me, it gets the job done, and I know its bad news, it isn't generic.

For example, ATIs do not meet this criteria. They don't get the job done by the standard of reliability. The 2001, however, does not have a history of failure. No community has had to sue Federal due to the delivery of a defective product. Federal is not building junk; lives are at risk and Federal has a proud history of saving them. From a completely audiophilic standpoint, yes, I do like the sound of T-128s or Whelens better than 2001s. No question. But from a pragmatic standpoint, the 2001 is just as good as any siren on the market.

There was a thread on here about an Arkansas city wanting to replace their 2001s because they don't rotate. I'd put money down the belts broke because they didn't keep up with the maintenance on the siren. Remember: 2001s before the SRNB used the T-Bolt rotator. It does require routine maintenance; greasing and belt replacement. Sometimes, the communities have to step up! I've yet to encounter a noisemaker failure on a 2001, with the lone exception of a 2001 in Springfield that started for a test then shut off. But I know it was working again the next day!

Yeah, I'll defend the 2001. I think, and I've said this before, we get too wrapped up in lauding a product because of how it sounds, not because of what it does or its success in its mission.

Remember: ASC had a T-135 catch fire on a pole. There are 6 year old Whelens in St. Louis County that don't work anymore. Not saying Federals are bullet-proof, but I'm just saying, gotta compare and see that, really, nothing is.

sirenita

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:23 am

the fact that there are still functional thunderbolts in service speaks volumes for the company.
chicks like sirens, too.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”