Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:35 pm

The pulley ratio could simply be to balance out the lower RPM of the motor.

Blasty

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:23 pm

I had started to build a siren in my high-school manufacturing class that would use a chain drive to increase the RPM of the rotor plate. I abandoned the project due to a lack of the proper tools and patience.

The siren would have used a plate like that of a Chrysler, but much smaller and dual toned with a 5/6 ratio, one ring of ports inside the other. There would be two horns on the stator, one for each ring.
Beware those who teach not how to think, but what to think.

Bshinn

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:42 pm

Gee, I wonder if it was a Single phase STH10.....
They were great job security for the motor shops.

Ben S.

Rheems1

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:13 pm

My dear heavens!! Ben Shinn has graced the board with his presenence!! For any of you sprouts who don't know Ben Shinn, there are 32 or more Thunderbolts in York County, Pa with his name on them.... literally. He made his own T-bolt horn screens and redid alot of the sirens in the Peach Bottom Nuclear Power Plant system using them. Plus, there is also a picture of Ben standing next to the example Cyclone at the Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant. His only failing is that he is a graduate of Penn State.... but I guess he can be forgiven for that. :) Welcome back to the board Ben!

Dave Firtz

Bshinn

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:10 pm

Hey Dave-

How's life?

Do you know anything about a 2T-or 3T22 that once exsisted behind the PA state police barracks in the city of York, PA? (I know that's close to where you live).
This was just a couple of blocks south of 30 East in the area between York Mitsubishi and Harley-Davidson. The PSP website says the current Barracks is on North St, but I don't know if that is an older barracks or not.
I saw the siren there in the early '90s.

Also, do you know Alex Myers from the Hambones in Columbia?

Ben S.

Rheems1

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:06 pm

Ben,

I don't know anything about a 2/3T22 being behind the York Barracks.... but having said that... I didn't know there was any kind of system in York City until I stumbled onto a 2T22 at Kiwians Park on Roosevelt Ave. So, I will jump in my car and take a drive over to York tomorrow and see what I can find. Now, on to the second question..... the name Alex Myers is familair to me.... and I think I know him.. but I am not 100%. I am sure if I saw him I would know him, I sure have run enough calls at Columbia #1 Fire Department to know every firefighter in the boro. It is very good to see you back though, look me up on AIM sometime... my screename is Rheems1.

Dave Fritz

AllSafe

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:03 pm

It could very well be a low-RPM motor from a Thunderbolt blower they put on there and they belted it 2:1 to the motor shaft to turn the siren at the proper RPMs. It should last a long time like that if they fabricate the proper cover for the belt.

Bshinn

Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:05 am

Dave,
I'm pretty sure it was the PSP barracks, but i'm not sure if one of the local pd's also had a station in the area or not. Basically I remember a 1-story bldg with numerous cruisers parked on each side, a large shade tree, and I think the siren was behind the building on a pole. I had basically forgotten about it, since it was the early '90s, but the memory has popped
into my head off & on during the past couple of years. It could be gone by now(the siren).

If you're feeling up to it, you might want to go inside and ask if any officers are still assigned that may have been there during that time period (the troopers seem to get moved around/reassigned a lot). That one-way glass at the desk is pretty wierd (at least they use that at some of the other barracks). Of course, they'll probably think questions about a siren are wierd, too, but that's how we do.

Alex is a Volunteer FF with the Hambones/also a career FF in Prince George's County, MD (last I knew he was assigned to Sta. 38 in Chapel Oaks). I think he lives in Wrightsville or Hallam.

More later,
Ben S.

Hacksaw

Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:07 pm

Ben:

Long time no hear from you. What brought you to South Dakota?

-Mike Holmstrom

Bshinn

Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Hey Mike!

My new Jobby Job brought me to SD. My wife is originally from Larchwood, Iowa, so that helped me do some networking....
I should send you a PM next time I take a break from packing/moving boxes (we've been out here for about a year and our new house is almost finished).

Ben S.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”