Jpressman8

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:28 am

I have heard some 2001 DCs and early SRNs that sound better than the 2001-130. Never once said I hate 2001s I just think the T-128 is a better choice over the 2001 because the frequency is lower and will carry much farther. Lower sound hertz frequencies are less susceptible to atmoshperic attenuation ,and therefore will carry a farther distance. Both the T-128 and 2001 are efficient and reliable designs. I just think that the 2001s higher frequency diminishes it's sound travel capability. After 100' decibel ratings become irrelevant and Hz(hertz) frequencies take over as the conditions of the atmosphere start to attenuate the sound wavelengths.
five liter V8

SirenMadness

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:16 am

Just because a certain product is the better choice doesn't mean it's the only one. Not everybody is going to buy the very best in value and performance, but until we start seeing purchases that fail to meet their basic design points, is there really a reason to complain about getting second-best?
There's no use in setting your standards in warning sirens based on the best you can buy; rather, you set them based on what you look for in a siren, and if a 2001 meets those standards as set by people who know their stuff, it's good enough for me, second-best or even tenth-best.
~ Peter Radanovic

r4tbolts

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:48 am

Crazywarriorman wrote:See, what I don't get is all the hate for the 2001. I don't believe federal has gotten any complaints about it, and I have never seen one fly apart on start-up or blow up while it was running. In all the towns I've lived in that had a 2001, I've never had a problem with them. I was always able to hear them during the worst storms. Also, like r4tbolts mentioned above about the downtown tbolt and 1/2 mile away 2001, how far the sound travels depends on the wind and alot of other factors, not just the pitch or sound. Not trying to start anything with anyone here, I just don't see why we all hate the 2001. It does it's job, and that seems good enough for me.
It's not hate, rather it is a let down. When the 2001's were coming to town I like many others said great. After all Federal made the t-bolts so this new siren should sound and cover just as good or better. After the first test of the 2001's I like many were saying thats it? I guess I was expecting more based on what the older generation Federal sirens sounded like. I don't hate the 2001's but I am not in love with them either. If Federal came up with a lower toned or dual toned 2001 I think it would be a great siren.

All is good crazywarriorwoman, you're not starting anything. I respect and welcome your opinons as well as everyone else.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:27 pm

If you can afford a 2001, then you can afford something alot better.

Yes they may be reliable, but they are down in the hole in terms of performance.

Jpressman8

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:14 pm

SirenMadness wrote:Just because a certain product is the better choice doesn't mean it's the only one. Not everybody is going to buy the very best in value and performance, but until we start seeing purchases that fail to meet their basic design points, is there really a reason to complain about getting second-best?
There's no use in setting your standards in warning sirens based on the best you can buy; rather, you set them based on what you look for in a siren, and if a 2001 meets those standards as set by people who know their stuff, it's good enough for me, second-best or even tenth-best.
Based on the concern of being a citizen in a town or community and having knowledge of acoustics, yes there is a reason to complain. 90% of people these days do not do research on anything , that being with cars, appliances,sirens etc etc . They just buy. Most of the time you buy the second best or less because you can't afford it,but the 2001 and T-128 are in the same price range. Testing a siren in a chamber does not tell you how it will perform in atmoshperic conditions. That is the same as test driving a car on the road or just revving the engine up in the show room. No one here is questioning the reliabilty of the 2001 and everyone on this board is aware of how reliable they are. What is the concern is the sound frequency the 2001 puts out( close to 800hz). And for the record I like the older 2001 DC models.
five liter V8

SirenMadness

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:30 pm

You are right about the higher pitch. A cluster of 2001s would have to be allot more concentrated than a cluster of T-128s to give you roughly the same audibility, another reason why a T-128 would not only be a better choice, but also a more economical one. Still, as said before, I'd take a 2001 over an ATI any day.
~ Peter Radanovic

Jpressman8

Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 am

SirenMadness wrote:Still, as said before, I'd take a 2001 over an ATI any day.
That's a no brainer. :wink:
five liter V8

sirenita

Sun May 01, 2011 6:24 pm

I drove down the road yesterday and saw three 2001s rather close to each other - maybe a mile apart between sirens? I was shocked that they were so close to one another. I was thinking, if a county has money for 3 of these wouldn't it have money for one that could cover the area of those three or is it better to have three??
chicks like sirens, too.

Jpressman8

Sun May 01, 2011 7:30 pm

sirenita wrote:I drove down the road yesterday and saw three 2001s rather close to each other - maybe a mile apart between sirens? I was shocked that they were so close to one another. I was thinking, if a county has money for 3 of these wouldn't it have money for one that could cover the area of those three or is it better to have three??
There are 3 2001 SRNs here in Cincinnati in the community of Addyston that are about 3/4 of a mile apart. I would like to record them on test day to see what they sound like that close together. There is also 2 SD-10s one on each end of the 2001s should make for an interesting sound combination.
five liter V8

SirenMadness

Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 pm

I was thinking, if a county has money for 3 of these wouldn't it have money for one that could cover the area of those three or is it better to have three??
It's all in the balance, I guess. Sirens too close, and you're spending more money; louder sirens much farther apart, and a failure in one unit means a large area without coverage.
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”