kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:29 pm

I've tried in many ways to get hold of sirens from big cities. It's a vicious circle, as nobody wants to stick their neck out and actually give permission. The best bet would be to get in good standing with the foreman of the City or County public works department, as they'd be the ones who would do the job of removing it if/when the politicians tell them to. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to get a city or county to give you the time of day. I agree that nobody should "just go take it down" cold turkey, but on the other hand, that's probably the only way it's going to go unless you have a strong tie with the local government.

I happen to know that two of the sirens in the Fort Mac Arthur museum in San Pedro, CA, were "just taken down off the poles" at night. But that doesn't mean I'm advising it, as I'm sure it could be written up as a felony against you if caught.

Most of the people here who do somehow manage to get sirens from public domain, have made friends with the fire chief, or the town manager, etc., in smaller towns and cities. That way, you might be able to get someplace with your efforts. One of the Chrysler sirens from Los Angeles County was put up and sold on eBay several years ago, and one of the 500T's was taken home by a County worker who is interested in sirens.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

minerva42

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:16 pm

so no news yet but im still bugging 'em its not like this is LA people its san bernardino yes its large but its not HUGE not really that hard to get a hold of the right people and everyone in that damn city is so corrupt that you can buy almost anybody. but yeah really hoping someone wants this thing to restore it just so i can hear it go off just once in person it would make my day :D

minerva42

update

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:50 am

wow sorry there have been no updates LIFE happened big time for me. The stupid school district never got back to me.Now they are ignoring me im convinced. I'd almost say go and get it anyways, because no one is claiming it. Well I do hope someone will let me know if they manage to retrieve that beautiful machine up there.

CABLEVision

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 am

kx250rider wrote:
I happen to know that two of the sirens in the Fort Mac Arthur museum in San Pedro, CA, were "just taken down off the poles" at night. But that doesn't mean I'm advising it, as I'm sure it could be written up as a felony against you if caught.

Charles
Wow, I can't believe that a museum would do something like that. I find that disgraceful and tasteless. And you absolutely correct, the city or county could easily press charges. It's tempting to go out there and just "take it" but I think shutting down a traffic lane, using a large crane, and then loading it into the back of an average looking pickup truck by guys wearing dodgers caps and t-shirts would raise some concerns. Stealing is stealing, even if it is done in good spirit.

Am I the only one who noticed this is a VERY rare gas powered N&B mobil directo?

Charles, if you can't get the one from Culver you should go for this one, or better yet, both :D

BTW: I'm back after a long absence. Good to see this place is still around and lively.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

minerva42

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:25 am

i honestly don't know what's up with the school district in those parts but maybe someone else could give it a try? it's the San Bernardino Unified School District and the last notice i received was to ask their maintenance department I'm sure they have a phone number on the site. please let me know if someone goes for it. i really wanna here that thing turn on just once. And please let me know if i can be of anymore help at all

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:00 am

The same thing happened to me when I was trying to get permission to remove my 1003. (Well, slightly different). The city had given me permission to remove and possess the siren, but I had to go through the school district as well due to the siren being mounted on the roof of the school which was fenced in and padlocked (it was getting set for demolition). The first school district, Robbinsdale Public Schools, wasn't easy to work with. I called to get my request in to the proper man (who could authorize the removal), but he didn't call me back. I called his secretary again a couple days later, who made up the excuse for him that he was "busy with everything at the beginning of the school year" (when in reality she probably had been told to tell me that he was just busy and needed time). I never did hear back from them. The District that would be purchasing the school and I had already corresponded. I asked them if they would be willing to allow me access to remove it. They agreed to let me in, as long as I had the city submit a letter of authorization to them and I had the contractors I hired submit a copy of their insurance to the central district office before we removed it. Obviously, it ended up working out; it was just frustrating to have to spend energy on one entity and then move onto another.

(I'm trying to express empathy by the way).

Good luck :)
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1003

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”