andersop
New User

Appropriate small-to-mid-sized siren?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to find an outdoor siren to integrate with an existing warning system. I have contact closure outputs, and RS-232 output capability. I am looking for what I would consider a mid-sized outdoor siren - something a bit smaller than a Model 2, I'd say? (something that doesn't require a telephone-pole sized post would be best.)

Ideally, I'd like something with an integrated amplifier, and serial control. The only thing I've found is the T130, by a French company called AE&T:
http://www.safety-aet.com/pageLibre00010070.asp
It has a 100W integrated amplifier, with RS-485 and/or wire control, which is nice. But I haven't been able to find anything else in this size range: Everything I'm coming up with is either a huge electromechanical behemoth, or a large speaker system - I don't need anything quite that big. Think a few acres, not the better part of a town. Mounting on existing buildings would be great.

Any suggestions for small to middle sized sirens would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nelso90

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 am

The WPS2901 by whelen might be a good choice. One 400W driver, similar sound output to a model 2.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:46 am

It would cheaper though if you get a OA1 rather than a 2901. The 2900 series costs more since it's voice capable and you have to pay for all of the extra equipment, while the Omni-Alert series is cheaper since it's not voice capable.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Daniel

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:00 am

Unless it must be electronic or has to have voice capability, have you considered finding a Model L or Model 1? Both are motor-driven, 120 volt sirens, but should cover the area you specified.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:07 am

If your interested I have a model 2 I will let go.

If you need anything smaller I recommended a sentry f-2.

va_nuke_pe

T130 - it's a loudspeaker, not a siren

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:24 am

Its claimed output is 130 dB at 1 meter - which corresponds to 100 dB at 100 feet. They don't say at what frequency the 130 dB is measured, so there is no way to know what it is in in dBC or get an idea what the atmospheric attenuation would be.

There are a lot of directional horns that are in this size range - if you want a siren (rather than a loudspeaker), you could look at Klaxon horns. There are any number of vendors for loudspeakers of this size, and quite a few siren vendors as well.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:13 am

I would say that a Federal Model 2 siren would be your best bet. Easy installation and can be mounted virtually anywhere, even on buildings. If you have access to 240 volts AC (or even 120 volts AC) then you can run this with no problem.

Here's a demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y3KlZmSkow
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”