Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

With A Mind Of Its Own...

Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Found this article thanks to fellow member, Adam Pollak. The video has some good footage of this 1000T malfunctioning at night. It might take a few moments for the video to load.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5181-Jackson- ... -Wednesday

Text:
evere weather was a threat across Southern and portions of Central Mississippi, Thursday afternoon, but that was not the case on Tuesday and Wednesday.
An old tornado siren dating back to the 1950s, blared on and off through the night and day, Tuesday and Wednesday- annoying many and causing some people to lose sleep.
A faulty relay switch was to blame for the malfunction.
The city and county are in the process of replacing and or upgrading the entire siren warning system, which includes 51 tornado sirens.

It looks like they are updating with Modulators?
-The Princess

jkvernon

Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:59 pm

I think there was some dispute over who won the contract for that county to install the new system. I think what happened was that Federal went ahead and installed the system and Precision Comm. (Whelen) is disputing it. Personally, I'd rather see them go with Whelen's electronics rather than Federal's Modulators.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:20 am

Bill Plant was one of the main contractors working on that project. I'm not sure if he was the only one or subbed out to local contractors.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: With A Mind Of Its Own...

Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:48 pm

How do I get the vid to play? Is there a direct link?
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

The3t22sOfUSA

Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:02 pm

They should only REPAIR our favorite siren, not replace it. A broken relay switch means you have to replace the entire system? It would be cheaper to just replace the switch than the entire system. So I guess if any siren enthusiasts live around there, they could go to the metal graveyard where the poor Thunderbolts lay, restore one, and keep Thunderbolts living on forever!
I love firefighting and sirens. Somehow they go together.

Return to “Videos and Media”