Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Nashville, TN Tornado Warning at Edwin Warner Park 9-6-09

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:25 pm

This a video that I recorded from Nashville, TN at Edwin Warner Park during a tornado warning on September 6th, 2009 around 6PM. The sirens heard is an ATI HPSS-32 outdoor warning siren.

You will be able to see the funnel cloud around 2:30.

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2dQTiZo7Zo

Since I have started a chase team I will begin to upload more tornado videos from around Tennessee this upcoming Spring 2010.

Enjoy!
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

TSMaster5150

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Nice video Charlie. Sirens are what really started my interest in severe weather. But here in Michigan the weather is so unpredictable it's hard to tell when I can get a video. Last year we had one tornado warning and I had a crappy camera so the video quality is horrible. This year we had no tornado warnings but the sirens still sounded a few times during severe thunderstorm warnings. When I get some $ my way I want to turn my Blazer into a storm chasing car and come this spring I plan on attending a SKYWARN class.

Melvin Potts

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:15 am

Interesting!

I didn't hear the Crieve Hall School siren on that date. Can usually hear it (although sometimes faintly) inside the house; if wind blowing the right direction can hear it clearly.

djscrizzle

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Does Nashville have the ability to activate sirens in zones, or is it "All-Call" where they all activate? It seems that with FSK signaling, one could call up each site to activate them in polygons, at least.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

Melvin Potts

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 am

I found out today that the siren nearest my house did sound Sunday afternoon during the tornado warning.

One of my friends lives closer to it; said he heard the ATI more than once.
City has a policy of activating the sirens every 8 minutes during duration of a tornado warning.

The Crieve Hall School ATI can normally be heard inside my house, even if faintly. However, I didn't hear it Sunday.

When I turned on the TV during last part of the warning, the warning was issued for other side of county. Since I didn't have TV on previously, all the sirens might have been sounded as the storm rolled across different areas.

I don't know if the city has the ATIs divided into zones, etc.

Whelen Rules

Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:40 am

Melvin Potts wrote:I found out today that the siren nearest my house did sound Sunday afternoon during the tornado warning.

One of my friends lives closer to it; said he heard the ATI more than once.
City has a policy of activating the sirens every 8 minutes during duration of a tornado warning.

The Crieve Hall School ATI can normally be heard inside my house, even if faintly. However, I didn't hear it Sunday.

When I turned on the TV during last part of the warning, the warning was issued for other side of county. Since I didn't have TV on previously, all the sirens might have been sounded as the storm rolled across different areas.

I don't know if the city has the ATIs divided into zones, etc.
Nashville does not activate in zone they activate all the sirens across Davidson County during a warning every 8 minutes as Melvin said.
Tyler Lund

Return to “Videos and Media”