bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Thunderbolt 1000T Durring a Tornado Warning + EAS Activation

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:13 pm

While getting out of my car at the post office yesterday, I heard the 1000T on top of West Lafayette City Hall wind up. I quickly got back in my car, grabbed my camera, and went over to film it.

While filming it, i searched the radio for info on why it was going off. I knew there was severe weather in the area (which is why I had the camera ready), but I hadn't heard anything about tornadoes. Apparently radar indicated one south of Lafayette, putting us in a tornado warning.
When the siren stopped, I decided to do the responsible thing and head south looking for the "possibly rain wrapped" tornado. Needless to say, I didn't see much.

While out driving though, I was able to catch an EAS activation on the radio when Clinton County (SE of Tippecanoe) went under a tornado warning. This was followed by a "Severe Weather Alert" on the station I was listening to.

The station was located in Clinton County and in the last clip of my video, you can hear what sounds like a 2001 going off over the radio. The sirens were set off 3 separate times while I was listening to the weather broadcast. They also lost power a couple times.

There was a funnel spotted just southwest of Frankfort, the town in Clinton County where the station is located. The EMA reports that it did not touch down. He did report that there were power outages, downed trees and various structural damage. Tippecanoe County's emergency management director reported no injuries and no major structural damage in the county.

Anyways... here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQv2TCVTevs&fmt=18

kswx29

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Great video! I love hearing/seeing sirens going off for a real emergency, especially tornado warnings!
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

cmoore

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:22 pm

On the 31st, the sirens went off here in Indy. We're under our new system and under a tornado warning, the sirens go off for 3 minutes like every 10 minutes. Atleast thats what happened last saturday.
Naptown Sirens

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 am

Wow, very cool. The lightning flashes add to effect really well. That's a bad sounding t-bolt too.

Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:29 am

Good recording man. It was also nice to hear the EAS brodcast in their as well. This past week all of these storms seem to either move away from or die out before they reach Delaware County. I suppose that's a good thing I guess. Knowing my luck we'll get some kind of bad weather while I'm out of the state for several days. Again, great sounding 1000T!
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

Return to “Videos and Media”