red04stanggt

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:46 am

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:Its in the neighborhood behind the sears grand and mcdonalds off 87th and 435. Its by a pool and a elementary school. I dont have the exact address on hand
Here's a link to the one I'm pretty sure you're talking about, just found it on Google Maps.

http://tinyurl.com/Lenexa-1000T
Fo sho thats the high pitched 1000T. If you expand that satellite map that video was recorded of the storm and the 1000T's in the backround at the apartment complex right next to 435 along renner road on the other side of the highway. This is where I recorded the 1000. Mapquest shows it being 1.94 miles from the 1000T
http://tinyurl.com/agnz5c

NanSiren

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:01 pm

As I mentioned on the vid, this brings back memories. My aunt Marlene (who sadly passed on in '97, bless her soul :cry: ) lived in the Millcreek Run townhouses, on Carriage Dr. I was there several times when the sirens sounded (for testing) and I could hear this one and the higher pitched 1000 heard in the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr4Ia8-FHVg vid (just after the guy says "are you out there doing construction?)

EL1998P71

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 am

Is the guide wire common in that area?
Seems they don't trust the Federal Mount all that much.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

EOWS 612

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:13 am

EL1998P71 wrote:Is the guide wire common in that area?
Yeah, a lot of the older sirens have that guide wire. Every Thunderbolt in JoCo execpt for Westwood's bumble-bee T-bolt and Leawood's 612 all have a wire like that. I think it's there to offset the weight of the blower. However, none of the Thunderbolts on the Missouri side have a guide wire. :?

P.S: I went Leawood's EOWS 612, it sounds identical to a single-tone Modulater :roll: . It's not dual-tone like I hoped.

red04stanggt

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:02 am

EOWS 612 wrote:
Yeah, a lot of the older sirens have that guide wire. Every Thunderbolt in JoCo execpt for Westwood's bumble-bee T-bolt and Leawood's 612 all have a wire like that. I think it's there to offset the weight of the blower. However, none of the Thunderbolts on the Missouri side have a guide wire. :?

P.S: I went Leawood's EOWS 612, it sounds identical to a single-tone Modulater :roll: . It's not dual-tone like I hoped.
not all the thunderbolts in JOCO have the guide wire. I know of 7 within 4 miles of my house that dont

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:14 am

The manual recommends the use of guy wires for unsupported standpipes over 10 feet. That's what those 4 holes in the rotator base flange are for.

EL1998P71

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:00 am

JasonC wrote:
The manual recommends the use of guy wires for unsupported standpipes over 10 feet. That's what those 4 holes in the rotator base flange are for.
I always knew that, since my Skokie IL T-bolt had them on it on all 4 holes.
But mine was not pole mounted, it was roof mounted.

But relooking at that Google streetview, the standpipe only has one support in the middle, insted of the 6-8 it should have.
It sure seems like a cheaper way to pole mount it to me.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:13 am

JasonC wrote:The manual recommends the use of guy wires for unsupported standpipes over 10 feet. That's what those 4 holes in the rotator base flange are for.
That applies to roof mounted units, not pole mounted units. Pole mounted Thunderbolts don't need any kind of guide wires if they're installed correctly. The only way I could really see a pole mounted siren requiring them is if over time the pole begins to lean one way due to the soil becoming less and less stable.
-Ian M.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:09 am

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:
That applies to roof mounted units, not pole mounted units. Pole mounted Thunderbolts don't need any kind of guide wires if they're installed correctly.
Of course it applies to roof mounted units. A pole mount wouldn't be correctly installed if it had over 10 feet of unsupported standpipe.

red04stanggt

Sat May 30, 2009 4:25 am

Well sadly this siren has a 2001 sitting next to it now and the thunderbolt has the power switch down/wires cut

Return to “Videos and Media”