ermaff6231

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:25 pm

it sounds more like wail than attack to me

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:06 pm

That's the first video I've seen of any of the Whelens in voice mode... There's one of those near the Lowe's off the Tollway, but there's a Thunderbolt (part of the Dallas system) between the Whelen and our Dallas house... I have the feeling that the 'Bolt would drown out the Whelen for us. I still haven't been there for a test (nor a real activation :x )

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:30 pm

kx250rider wrote:That's the first video I've seen of any of the Whelens in voice mode... There's one of those near the Lowe's off the Tollway, but there's a Thunderbolt (part of the Dallas system) between the Whelen and our Dallas house... I have the feeling that the 'Bolt would drown out the Whelen for us. I still haven't been there for a test (nor a real activation :x )

Charles
You'd be surprised, as those 4008's are pretty damn loud. I have a video from a test somewhere, and maybe one day I will find it and post it. They aren't really a force to be reckoned with, though mcmoney...er..Plano is installing 28/910's left and right--2810's aren't loud. (Not that I like they way they sound or anything)
-The Princess

hobbeekid

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:46 pm

I used to live in Plano Tx. Years ago.At the time they had a system of p15 penatrators,closest one was about 2mi from my house @ the time. I went back there for a visit recently to find that not only were the penatrators gone,they were replaced with those whelens and installed in places that previously didn't have sirens.Including the field behind my old house!whelen must have given discounts to Plano for buying these things because they're everywhere!!!of course Plano has grown& changed ALOT since I lived there. Those Whelens sound like a bunch of dogs howling!:roll: I guess I'm just old school because to me nothing beats that haunting penatrating 12/9 port sound,especially at 3:00 am with a severe storm at hand!

Dieselfan66

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:21 pm

The Whelen 4008 is the loudest electronic siren ever produced. 130 dB with expected 70 db range out to 6400 ft. That should wake you up.
If it ain't made in America it shouldn't be here!

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm really curious to hear how it sounds from our place... It should be pretty interesting since we're on Timberglen at Voss Road; just above Frankford & the Tollway. So we're just about perfectly set between Addison/North Dallas' T-Bolts and Plano's Whelens...

Does Plano test on the same schedule as Dallas, anyone know? I think Plano is in Collin County, not Dallas County.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:39 pm

kx250rider wrote:I'm really curious to hear how it sounds from our place... It should be pretty interesting since we're on Timberglen at Voss Road; just above Frankford & the Tollway. So we're just about perfectly set between Addison/North Dallas' T-Bolts and Plano's Whelens...

Does Plano test on the same schedule as Dallas, anyone know? I think Plano is in Collin County, not Dallas County.

Charles
Texas EM is not usually run on the county level. Most of the time, it's left up to the city. Plano tests at 12:00PM the first Wednesday of the month, as Dallas does. Most municipalities in the Metroplex do so at 12:00, 1:00 or sometimes 2:00, the first Wednesday of the month. Plano runs a cycle of attack followed by a voice announcement. And yes, Plano is in Collin County.
-The Princess

Return to “Videos and Media”