kswx29

Gas City, IN Sirens in Attack

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:38 pm

Going off for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. Main siren heard sounds like an STH-10. The girl talking seems to know about the sirens in town. After the turn off she talks about them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5J1_zr1Tgw
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

jkvernon

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:56 am

Gas City has 2 Federal STH10s and one double headed siren which I'm guessing is a MARS siren or possible a Darley Champion. I've been right under it trying to figure out what it is but I've never been able to. We have family friends who live in Gas City and they can also hear all kinds of sirens, mainly Marion's 2001s (which they have more than 2). Also, Upland has a single headed M-10. (Sorry in advance for the long URLs. It's not letting me imbed these things.)

Newer STH10 - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 4499814869

Mystery double headed siren - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5466783827

Other newer STH10 - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 6387809686

There may be others but I haven't seen them.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:23 am

That first siren link definitely looks like a Sentry Siren of some sort to me.

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:10 am

Second one looks nearly like the MARS siren in Spring Hill, KS. Has that odd expanding cylinder where the ports are at on both sides.

However, the quality is horrible just to see and make out what it may be. :x

edit; The siren that Adam has in mind I am thinking is either 7V8 or 7V8-B.
--bc

bigloudnoise

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Does the second siren look like this?

If it does, then it's definitely a MARS siren. A seemingly rare find, and definitely worth attempting to record if you ever get the opportunity. A nearby MARS siren is currently #1 on my list of "must record/want to record" sirens, but other obligations has kept me from being able to do so for nearly a full year.

Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:57 pm

I have a VERY poor quality photo of the Gas City siren,

I adjusted it a little bit so that you can see it a little better. It was a very poor day for hunting but it's the only day I had.

A few miles southwest of Gas City in Fairmount there is another siren that looks strikingly similar to this one except for a different color,

And the siren in Upland that jkvernon was mentioning,

As a side note Gas City does have 2 STH-10's as jkvernon has said. There is a small village that adjoins Gas City called Jonesboro that also has an STH-10. It is controlled by GSPD though. Marion has the largest system in Grant County with atleast 8 2001-SRN's. Hope this helps in helping to ID this siren.
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

CTsirenhunter

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 am

As 2t22boy said, the girl seems to actually have all the siren locations, and seems pretty enthusiastic about them. She seems just a few steps away from becoming a real siren fan like us.
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

jkvernon

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:20 am

That first siren link definitely looks like a Sentry Siren of some sort to me.
I've been by it in person and it's most definitely an STH10. It was actually the first new STH10 install that I've ever seen. I've also heard their system go off over the phone (I was talking to our family friend) for a crazy line of thunderstorms that was rolling in. All I was able to hear was an STH10 and a 2001 from Marion.

I figured that Gas City would have to have more than just the 2 STH10s and mystery siren so I did a little more searching around and found a third STH10 on E. N. H St. near Chestnut Dr.

Return to “Videos and Media”