guitarguy1985
YouTube Username: guitarguy19852

Low pitched 1000T closeup

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:46 pm

Finally got an actual video of this one. This is the closest I've ever been to a siren while it was activated. The ground was literally shaking when the horn pointed towards me. If you have the volume up enough, you can hear the blower turn off at the end, also. It sounds like they bumped the chopper setting up one terminal since the last time I recorded it about a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iYciPu5PP0&fmt=18

Federal Signal fan

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Well, comments let me know it's at Chopper Level 2... Very eerie, my heart sunk and I felt I was going to die, very scary... I love that siren! As I posted, I wonder what Level 1 would sound like? Ah, nothing like Civil Defense, especially the Thunderbolt 1000T, talk about the proper siren, that thing will have you safely taking cover and shivering at the same time! You bet the ground was shaking, I'm surprised the double low toned siren doesn't vibrate much of anything else...

Awesome video, and the quality wasn't bad at all!

Thanks for posting! :D
Josh
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

guitarguy1985

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:27 am

Setting 1 is about 370hz for the low tone and 444hz for the high tone, I think. Though there are other factors that will determine the pitch so it's impossible to be 100% certain of the chopper level just by listening.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 am

Cool video.
The ground was literally shaking when the horn pointed towards me.
A little exaggeration here? I've been around a lot of Thunderbolts. Have turned them on myself with AR timers and the individual RCM switches and I have never had the ground "literally shake."

guitarguy1985

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:04 am

Perhaps vibrate would be more accurate, but I definitely "felt" the sound, no exaggeration.

Federal Signal fan

Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 pm

I felt the sound chill my back!

I would think you would feel something, after all, it's kind of mounted low... Just like it's sound.

Would you be able to tell the Chopper Level with a decibel instrument?

Josh
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

loudmouth

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Wow that was great.

I'm wondering though is that sound you hear at the end the gear box and not the blower.. since the blower is all ready turned off and dosent the blower "coast" since its a roots style?

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:08 pm

guitarguy1985 wrote:Perhaps vibrate would be more accurate, but I definitely "felt" the sound, no exaggeration.

That's what happened to me when I recorded the LG&E Thunderbolt back in September. I was at the Captain D's across the street, but the restaurant was on a hill, so the siren was only about 15 feet above my head, and only about 150 feet away. Every time the horn pointed at me, I could literally feel the concrete that I was sitting on vibrating, and the air was vibrating too. I probably was getting at least 120 DB of sound right in my face that day. That's the loudest I've ever heard a Thunderbolt. I tried to listen to it during one revolution without hearing protection, and it was painful when the horn was pointed at me. On the other hand, when I was right under the Doss Thunderbolt back in August, it wasn't nearly that loud, and I didn't even need hearing protection.

Great video BTW! It sounds like they fixed the brushes on that siren. In your other recording, it sounded like the brushes were going bad. That would explain the lower pitch.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Nelso90

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:47 pm

I think the only time I've ever been physically affected by sound is when I went to the US grand prix at indy in 2007. Every time the traction control kicked in, or the cars shifted it just rattled my chest. What you don't hear on TV is the BOOM every time they shift. Those motors running at 19,000RPM through straight pipes are EASILY as loud as a siren.

EL1998P71

Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:34 am

CDV777-1 wrote:Cool video.
The ground was literally shaking when the horn pointed towards me.
A little exaggeration here? I've been around a lot of Thunderbolts. Have turned them on myself with AR timers and the individual RCM switches and I have never had the ground "literally shake."
Me neither, but at a close distance, I can say you can "FEEL" the sound when it passes by you.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

Return to “Videos and Media”