PhRed

Home Town Huntington Manor Video and Mars Siren Question

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mo1OQ0kttk

This is The Huntington Manor Fire Department HQ's Sterling M-10 doing eight cycles on fast wail.

Funny thing is that this mode had been implemented fairly recently in the department's history. For the loooooooongest time all fire calls were exclusively eight cycles on standard attack mode. Today, of course, both modes are used, although I'm not sure under which circumstances.

I'm thinking one for fire call and the other for rescue(?)

Also notice that the siren to the left is a 12-port Mars, as identified by the video's author. I don't think I've ever heard this go off; so it may be for eventual back up if the Sterling ever goes verkl?mpft...which it never has.

BTW, sub-station #1 not even a mile away had another M-10, which I suspect may have been ultimately done in by hurricane Gloria. At the time, both Sterlings were in service 24/7; this one was until a few years ago.

Question: Would a 12-port siren's output be equivalent to the upper register on an M-10?

PS: I'm the one posting the comments under the name JayPro.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:17 pm

PhRed wrote:Question: Would a 12-port siren's output be equivalent to the upper register on an M-10?
No, because the higher note on a Sterling comes from a 16-port chopper. IIRC, the other chopper on that M-10 is an 8-port.
-Ian M.

Truckie6119

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Awesome video brother.

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Mars siren doesn't work at all? :?:

This is going to drive me mad now, I really want to hear what one of those MARS sound like once and for all. :(
--bc

SirenMadness

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:15 pm

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:
PhRed wrote:Question: Would a 12-port siren's output be equivalent to the upper register on an M-10?
No, because the higher note on a Sterling comes from a 16-port chopper. IIRC, the other chopper on that M-10 is an 8-port.
I think so, because the M-10 had a difference by an octave.

Great video, too! The intake louvers seem to be slightly unique on this Sterling.
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Videos and Media”