Daniel

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:02 am

I had forgotten that the huge tunnel outside of Vail was named after President Eisenhower. I remember seeing those sirens, and they are Model 2s.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

AllSafe

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:52 am

Actually it is the Eisenhower/Johnson Memorial Tunnel System. The northern bore was named for Eisenhower, who signed the bill establishing funding for the first interstate highway system, and the southern bore was named for senator and former Colorado governor Edwin C. Johnson who led the fight to bring I-70 through Colorado. It is the highest tunnel system in the world, sitting between 11,013 feet and 11,158 feet elevation and crossing the Continental Divide. It is the only highway tunnel system which crosses the Continental Divide, and it actually rises in elevation from east to west by almost one hundred feet.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Robert Gift

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks Safe.
I thought the newer, 1973 bore was for President Johnson.
Thanks, Daniel. Now I know what a Model 2 is.
Means 2 horsepower?

Amazingly, though the tunnel curves, I had a conversation with Eagle County Sheriff through the entire length on Verizon Wireless.

I assume it descends from west to east to promote drainage.
The 6.21 mile long Moffat railroad tunnel peaks in the middle to create drainage.

500AT

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:10 pm

Robert Gift wrote: Amazingly, though the tunnel curves, I had a conversation with Eagle County Sheriff through the entire length on Verizon Wireless.
Two of my friends that who use Sprint PCS, loose their signal and drop calls, when they drive that same stretch of highway. This can be very annoying to say the least. Verizon must have a nearby cell site that has a passive antenna system inside the tunnels. :D

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Jim_Ferer

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:16 am

Most of the New York City tunnels have antenna systems inside.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”