Jim_Ferer

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Just 'cuz Garlits said a Chrysler can be heard over 20 miles doesn't mean it can.

Robert Gift

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:29 pm

red04stanggt wrote:Holy crap. Those things were able to warn over 20 some miles? Is that what I heard? What would REALLY happen if you stood in front of that thing at full blast?
Who says that?
I don't believe it, unless in cold dry air on a very still day, then just barely.

Justin

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:35 am

Jim_Ferrer wrote:Just 'cuz Garlits said a Chrysler can be heard over 20 miles doesn't mean it can.
Robert Gift wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:Holy crap. Those things were able to warn over 20 some miles? Is that what I heard? What would REALLY happen if you stood in front of that thing at full blast?
Who says that?
I don't believe it, unless in cold dry air on a very still day, then just barely.
Probably got that information from one of Chryslers' ads. With any company, you'd want to make your product sound like it'll murder the competition without breaking the rules of advertising, so I'd assume they'd use the "fine print": "Under ideal conditions".

kanazo

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:29 am

sound transmit the best when there is minimal obstruction in the way and in warm, moist air.

red04stanggt

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Justin wrote:
Jim_Ferrer wrote:Just 'cuz Garlits said a Chrysler can be heard over 20 miles doesn't mean it can.
Robert Gift wrote:
Who says that?
Probably got that information from one of Chryslers' ads. With any company, you'd want to make your product sound like it'll murder the competition without breaking the rules of advertising, so I'd assume they'd use the "fine print": "Under ideal conditions".
Watch the video they posted in that link, it says the sirens could warn up to 23 some miles

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:07 pm

kanazo wrote:sound transmit the best when there is minimal obstruction in the way and in warm, moist air.

Actually cool, dry air is the best medium to transmit sound. At lower temperatures, the air molecules are closer together and more stiff, thus transmitting waves propagate further. Water vapor in the air also dampens out sound.

AllSafe

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:12 am

Actually cool, dry air is the best medium to transmit sound. At lower temperatures, the air molecules are closer together and more stiff, thus transmitting waves propagate further. Water vapor in the air also dampens out sound.
Very true.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”