red04stanggt

Multiple sirens possibly malfunctioned around my area??

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:21 pm

I went out with the video camera to capture another tbolt down the street from me at 11am. This is what was odd I didnt have the camera on at the tmie to capture this b/c im more entertained just listening to them. I always love hearing them wind up. Anyway the siren was in attack and it probably went off for maybe a minute as it was going into attack it started winding down then it started back up and it acted as if the power was cut while it was winding up then it just shut off. Never went off again. They always go off for like 3-5 minutes. I also didnt hear the 3T by my house as well. Should I email the local guys that deal with the sirens

kswx29

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Maybe they didnt sound them that long becasue it was cold out. I have talked with the JOCO EMA and they said they don't test in the winter months, when its cold or when its stormy out.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 am

I didn't hear the sirens here in Southern Johnson county go off today. Guessing they activated certain sirens in certain zones or so... http://www.jocoem.org/documents/SirenMap-2006.pdf

red04stanggt

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:57 am

Well ive always heard them test in the winter. Somthing was up with that tbolt though. Like i said as well I didnt hear the 3t go off either and that thing usually goes off for 5 minutes atleast

kswx29

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:01 am

Maybe you should contact the Johnson County Director of Emergency Management and Homeland Security Mike Selves. He is a pretty cool person when it comes to talking about the sirens. BTW here is their testing schedule straight from the website:

http://www.jocoem.org/outdoor_warning.htm

Testing
The outdoor warning system for Johnson County is tested at 11:00am on the first Wednesday of the month from February through November. No tests are conducted in December or January, or any other scheduled test date when extreme cold and/or heavy icing might damage the equipment. Tests are also cancelled whenever there is severe weather (or potential severe weather) occurring in the local area and activating the outdoor warning system might cause confusion as to whether the activation is real event.
In March siren activation is done as part of a statewide tornado drill in conjunction with Severe Weather Awareness Week. These drills are typically conducted on Tuesday or Thursday (back-up date) afternoon, late enough as not to disrupt the school lunch period.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”