Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:45 am

The lower siren looks more like a Federal Lion to me than a Model M.
-The Princess

AllSafe

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:58 am

SirenkiD wrote:The lower siren looks more like a Federal Lion to me than a Model M.
A Lion has a cover which covers the whole thing except for the two horns on the ends, which have louvers on them to keep rain and ice out of the rotors.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

jkvernon

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:04 am

The lower siren looks more like a Federal Lion to me than a Model M.

I was thinking the same exact thing. The cowl doesn't really mean anything because it can really be easily modified. The siren itself including the intakes, choppers/stators, and the motor housing are that of a Federal Lion.

500AT

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:15 am

Is that Federal Lion a quad-tone siren? Excellent find! :D

Since the new water tower is completed in Holly, I heard a rumor that the old one will eventually be torn down. It would be very cool if both sirens could be saved and preserved, especially the Lion.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

AllSafe

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:47 pm

500AT wrote:Is that Federal Lion a quad-tone siren? Excellent find! :D
No, no, no. All Federal Lion sirens are single-tone.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

500AT

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:41 pm

I talked with the new Holly Village Fire Chief, and he said that to the best of his knowledge, both sirens are in working order. Moreover, the plans to dismantle the old water tower have been placed on hold, as the city needs all the water pressure they can get. Therefore, both sirens are in no danger of being taken out of service. However, the police department is in charge of activating the warning sirens.

I phoned the lieutenant at the police station, and he is not certain if the Federal Lion still works or not, as they have not used it in ages. That siren was used to call-out the volunteer firemen, and since they all have pagers they rarely use it anymore. Likewise, the SD-10 is rarely used, since Oakland County has implemented a network of 2001s in the region. However, they did use the SD-10 for the start and end of Halloween trick-or-treat a few days ago.

After the recent tornado that struck nearby Fenton, Holly PD has recently received permission to activate their local sirens for any emergencies. Previously, only Oakland County could set-off all the sirens in the county at the same time. However, Holly PD will handle local activations, well in advance of Oakland County's EOC, which has a policy of waiting until the storm is inside their county before they will trigger the warning system.

Currently, the Village of Holly is debating as to whether the SD-10 should be included with the other sirens. Likewise, they plan on purchasing another siren to cover the north side of the village, which has seen some growth over the past several years. Hopefully, they will make a good choice and purchase another mechanical siren.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

fstbolt

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 pm

They should Get a 2001 or T-128 for the village.
visit: http://fstbolt.proboards59.com/ today!
don't forget to register.

Thunderbolt 612

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:03 pm

Definitely a T-128, since they're well made and very reliable. :D

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”