texaschad25

Re: Phase converter OK to power 2t22A? A= three-phase motor

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:07 pm

JasonC wrote:
Robert Gift wrote:
But I would prefer the siren on the roof where it is accessible.
Once on a pole, I can't get to it and experiment with it - like set smoke bombs off below and see if there is a vortex into the lower stator intake, etc.

Maybe this is why it should be mounted on a power pole.... :wink:
No kidding !! Robert, Do you sleep with this thing at night too???

AllSafe

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:38 pm

Robert Gift wrote:
AllSafe wrote:A rotary phase converter with a 15hp slave motor should do quite nicely for that application. And with the right transformer you can step up the voltage if needed.
Thanks.
What does the "slave motor" do?
This siren is wired for 208/240, so the 240V single-phase voltage will be sufficient with no need for step up.
The slave motor acts as a rotary transformer to generate the extra phase needed.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Robert Gift

Re: Phase converter OK to power 2t22A? A= three-phase motor

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:25 pm

JasonC wrote:
Robert Gift wrote:But I would prefer the siren on the roof where it is accessible.
Once on a pole, I can't get to it and experiment with it - like set smoke bombs off below and see if there is a vortex into the lower stator intake, etc.
Maybe this is why it should be mounted on a power pole.... :wink:
Don't think I didn't consider that a good reason!
I just need a siren of my own to play with.

Archon

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:59 am

I aculty had my 2T in the bedroom in the corner before I put it up on top of the house. It was in the bedroom to get it out of the way

Daniel

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:11 pm

I used to have my GCS Model 2 in my living room, but I never attempted to go to bed with it. You know, amputation hazard . . .
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Gents'

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:11 am

I aculty had my 2T in the bedroom in the corner before I put it up on top of the house. It was in the bedroom to get it out of the way
With two men I cannot even get mine 10 inches off the ground without looking inappropriately undignified - a gentleman does not run or shift heavy objects ;). I would love to store mine inside the house but there are just several dozen painful steps to conquer before this could happen.

As for phase converters... I have never tried one but I am having a play on a tow-behind 3 phase generator (petrol) in a few weeks and I hope that all goes well. I do not think a 3-phase converter or generator would have a problem with your siren as they are built to run motors. However, your motor is probably a good 10HP. That's the only problem I can see; it will cost a fortune, to buy a converter, for that kind of power output.
I didn't know that poles cost that, I thought they cost a good $600 if you go to the right place.
I agree with above post. I would be trying to get one for nothing and just pay for installation.

Robert Gift

Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks, Gents.

For my fire department I can get a 15 hp rotary phase converter at a reduced price of $1350. Made here in Denver, Colorado.
You're right, the 2t22 is a 10 hp motor.
They recommend sizing the phase converter 50% over.

But I should be able to bring true three-phase from the sewage plant, oh, excuse me, Wastewater Treatment Plant, for about $600.

Apparently our electrical engineer has told the chief that it would be cost prohibitive to try to bring three-phase to the station.
But I cannot understand why.
With the complications of having two types of power at the same building, does he not want to do the design for it?

The county building department electrical inspector says my plan should work:
From an unused 50-amp circuitbreaker in the power panel, bury 3 conductors with ground to fire station. Ground rod on both ends of ground wire.
Emerge from the ground on the station wall next to existing service entrance.
Have clearly placcarded disconnect, next to the existing single-phase disconnect.
Then to motor starter switch sending power up conduit to siren.
(Three phase is isolated from station in it's own conduit.)

This would be be cheaper than a phase converter, which would require a circuit to turn on the phase converter before the siren is turned on, and true three-phase is always preferred.

Brendan Ahern

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:01 pm

If the building inspector ok's it, then get it in writing from him first. Ive found they seem to have very short memories. Also, he will probably demand a licensed electrician perform the work.

Robert Gift

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:If the building inspector ok's it, then get it in writing from him first. Ive found they seem to have very short memories. Also, he will probably demand a licensed electrician perform the work.
Though I have created the plans, they must be drawn and stamped by an electrical engineering firm.
Fortunately I can do all of the installation myself.
The installation must meet code and not diverge from the plans.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”