Fletch

Whelen 2000-R

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm

Is this type of siren found anywhere else other than St. Louis County, MO?

I've never seen a 2000-R outside of St. Louis County.

uncommonsense

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:32 pm

I personally have never seen one of them outside of St. Louis, yet, they are all over the county. You tend to find them in strongly residential areas (as opposed to a 3016 at a major intersection or along a major road...not saying that's a rule of thumb, but its what I tend to notice). They are somewhat loud little suckers, but I can't imagine that they'd exceed 118 db (what the Hornet is...probably less than that since you have 4 speakers instead of one) because there is only 400 watts of power on them (assumedly).

I have trouble believing they were a custom model just for St. Louis County, but then again, one wonders why they are not found anywhere else (I can't believe that there isn't another one somewhere else in the country). I would love to get my hands on some early to mid 80's Whelen literature and read over it. I would love to see if there are other undiscovered models in their history and what they were like.

Fletch

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Did Whelen make outdoor warning sirens prior to the 2000-R?

It seems like Whelen is a more recent entry into the siren market (early 1980's) as opposed to Federal Signal, American Signal and Sterling/Sentry.

AllSafe

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:21 am

They did make electronic vehicle sirens before they made outdoor warning sirens, as far as I am aware.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

FedTB

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:17 pm

2 of the 2000-R's have been replaced recently by Whelen WPS-2908's in St. Louis County. One is located in front of Mehlville High School and the other is at I-170 and Natural Bridge Rd.

No, I've never seen any of these 2000-R's in any other states, either. I wonder if Whelen was getting ready to discontinue this model (in 1982)and gave St. Louis County "a break" in pricing, or if they just decided to mix in the 3016's in most areas with the 2000-R's in other areas or what the deal was.

Conky 2000

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Since Whelens are "disposable" sirens (meaning that the speakers are notorious for blowing out when least expected), I'm guessing that other states had them, but they were replaced because of the average Whelen lifespan. A member named geek1229 posted some pictures of a siren scrapyard somewhere in Ohio or the Midwest (the yard owners told him to keep the location secret), and I'm fairly sure that I saw a few white Whelens in there, along with a few ACA Allertronics, but the Whelens were probably 3016s.
If your siren is a-failin'
Chances are that it's a Whelen
And if it's just about to die
Then it must be an ATI

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”