kswx29

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:09 am

Thunderbolt 612 wrote:That was so stupid not sounding the sirens for the high winds, and as a result, they said on the news that one person died from the storm. :cry: :x
Was there a Tornado Warning for Cook County? As far as i know there was only a Severe Storm Warning. Here i know they would not sound sirens for 70MPH+ winds here because we have had 75-80MPH winds blow through Topeka a few years ago, but no sirens.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:35 am

Some say there was a warning, others don't. Its really mixed answers.

Brendan Ahern

Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:31 am

The person that died was in knox county, nowhere near chicago. Nobody here died. Just a lot of uprooted trees and power outages.

Aceorton

Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:49 am

Gil wrote:Some say there was a warning, others don't. Its really mixed answers.
I was checking weather updates online as the storm was passing through, and the tornado warning was for southern Cook, specifically mentioning towns like Country Club Hills, Homewood and South Holland. That's well south of Chicago city limits.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:53 pm

Ahh yes, seems like that particular area receives ALL of the severe weather, except on Thursday. That really was a once-in-a-lifetime deal, as we never get severe weather up here in the northwest suburbs.

FedTB

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:36 am

While it's cool or neat to hear the sirens sound for a Tornado Warning, I'd much rather do without the damage that occurred up that way.

Brendan Ahern

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:44 am

The governor has declared cook county a disaster area. Flooding got so bad that the city had to open the floodgates where the Chicago river meets lake Michigan and let sewage into the lake...its either there or in peoples basements. I have family that STILL doesnt have power. This happened thursday. Its pretty amazing what nature can do in so little time. You just dont see it happening in large cities that much.

500AT

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:57 am

In my county, we have an official policy to activate all of our outdoor warning sirens for any Severe Thunderstorm that has measured winds over 115 km/h (70 MPH). Likewise, if any tornado is confirmed by radar or storm spotters, they will do the same. I really think is an excellent idea, given the fact that many people like to visit parks and other outdoor recreation areas during the summer months.

Currently, there is some strong consideration being given to extending the signal time, from three to five minutes in my county on all sirens. Moreover, if there is a confirmed tornado on the ground, the sirens will be sounded repeatedly until the tornado has either left the area or dissipated. Likewise, some communities want to use the "Attack" signal for confirmed tornado sightings. However, the EMD wants to stay with just one signal, "Alert" for all weather warnings. Either way, I am happy to see that our county plans on purchasing 14 more sirens next year.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Brendan Ahern

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:39 pm

Well, here is the official word on what happened.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5280 ... 25.article

City never got alert from weather service

August 25, 2007
BY SHAMUS TOOMEY Staff Reporter/[email protected]

The City of Chicago on Friday defended its decision not to sound its warning sirens during Thursday's violent storms, saying meteorologists told officials the storm was diminishing as it approached Chicago's borders.

It flared up when it reached the city, however, causing widespread damage but minimal injuries.

"As soon as it entered the city, we had a burst -- too late to activate the system," said Tony Ruiz, head of the city's 911 center and the one who made the call on the sirens.

RELATED STORIES
? Dry out, power up
The decision to keep them quiet was made, in part, after the city was told the National Weather Service's tornado warning didn't extend into Chicago.

But city officials said the city never received a subsequent "severe weather statement" that named specific Chicago neighborhoods as being at risk. The National Weather Service said Friday it is looking into why the city didn't get the alert, which the city was to receive electronically.

"That's something that will have to be looked at," said Edward Fenelon of the National Weather Service's local office.

Mayor Daley agreed with Ruiz's call and warned of using the sirens prematurely and scaring people.

"We would be activating it every week," Daley said. "We have storms all of the time. ... You have to make sure that it's coming in strong."

Ruiz added: "I'm sure if I did activate it, I would have been criticized."

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”