kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Piru, CA dam failure siren locations???

Mon May 28, 2007 8:09 pm

I was in the small town of Piru, CA on Saturday, and was told that there is a siren system installed to warn of dam failure. The resident told me that the siren(s) are to the West of where she lives on Main St at the rairoad tracks. I drove around a little, and couldn't find one. I also tried on Live.Local, but my screen is too small to help. On a google search, I found several official papers that prove there are sirens there, but no locations given. One paper says they test them every other Friday, but I also read that they're tested once a month (perhaps a change happened in time)...

If anyone has a bigger display, and wants to do a project search, please post if you can find any of the sirens :D

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

mgear

well

Mon May 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Well my display is a 15 in sooooo i think not :wink: .
Sean Matt

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

FOUND IT!!!!

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 am

We happened to go through Piru, CA along Highway 126 today... There in the middle of farm sits what appears to be a shiny new 2001! I had given up on finding any sirens there last spring, when I drove all over the town to look for it/them. I had been told by a local resident that there is a siren system to warn of failure of the Piru Dam, just above the town.

The photos are from the phone camera, thus are poor. The distant shot is taken from Hwy 126 just east of Main St, and the closer shot is taken from the dead end of Citrus View Dr.

If I can get a confirmation on if/when any regular tests are done, I'll pop up there and get it on tape. This is my closest official siren, just about 8 miles North of us as the crow flies. Too bad theres a mountain in the way, or I'd be able to hear it no doubt.

Charles

Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

mgear

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:44 pm

That looks like a good find.
Sean Matt

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”