Justin

Some sirens downunder

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:51 am

When I ducked over to school on Thursday, I went and got some more decent images of both the 'lockdown siren' and the 'snail siren'.

You will soon see a recording of the 'lockdown siren', so keep your eyes peeled. It was also the same siren that we fired up two weeks ago. :)

I'll post the picture I took of the Model A (aka 'Wailing Joe') that I fixed up for the town and captured back when the pre-season AFL match was on, when I can find it...

kswx29

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:06 am

That first one looks almost exactly like my Mini-siren. The only thing is mine is smaller.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Daniel

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:32 pm

I think that your "snail siren" is a resonator horn that probably sounds like a basketball-type horn. The US Navy used resonator horns with curled horns like this one because of the confined space on board ship. Unlike a standard vibratory horn that derives its pitch from the line frequency, a resonator horn's pitch is determined by the length of the horn.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Justin

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:52 am

Interesting...
I think it's been disconnected, so there's probably no chance that it would sound again.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:07 am

Justin wrote:Interesting...
I think it's been disconnected, so there's probably no chance that it would sound again.

Man, your posting this? You much be siren deprived down there! :lol:

Justin

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:39 am

JasonC wrote:
Justin wrote:Interesting...

Man, your posting this? You much be siren deprived down there! :lol:
Hehe, yeah. :( :lol:

I know of four in my immediate area, the two I posted above; the Model 5 round-hat at the Fire Station and Wailing Joe at the footy ground.

Speaking of which: Here's Wailing Joe standing proudly (yes it was used and yes, that was as close as I could get).

Just for kicks: Here's a bit of the Australian Rules Football, Sydney Swans vs Collingwood Magpies.
Boy, Narrandera hasn't seen an oval that packed in years. :)

I'm trying to distract the fact that I have stuff all sirens to admire. :(

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”