pineapple

YouTube Username: ThepineappleChanel

Question about Thunderbolt mounts.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:51 am

Is anyone aware of a thunderbolt mounted this way, or if this could even be a realistic mounting setup? It could be a 1000, 1000T, or 1003. I don't really care. I'm trying to motorize the 1/87 Thunderbolt kit from Ralph Ratcliffe Models. It would be very convenient if there were any mounted this way; I could base it off of; however, if this could be considered a realistic mount, I could just make my own custom Thunderbolt.
Attachments
2024021816164252.jpg
2024021816164252.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 525 times

Greenrid

Re: Question about Thunderbolt mounts.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:28 pm

I don't think that a mount like that is possible. The Thunderbolt would have to be mounted to the pole, so the whole siren could get support. It could in theory work, as long as the bracket is strong enough.

There is another way that some Thunderbolts are mounted, however. The blower pipe goes through a metal pole, and the blower connects to an exit at the bottom of the pole, so this way the whole Thunderbolt can get support. The Thunderbolts in Dallas are mounted like this!
Proud owner of the FULL 508 siren map! https://rb.gy/bgjrm1

Hoping to get some sirens in the future...

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:41 am

For something like that the siren would definitely have to be mounted to the pole somehow. That blower pipe alone wouldn't be strong enough to support the siren unless it was braced against the pole or strapped to the pole.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

pineapple

Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:07 am

HDN wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:41 am
For something like that the siren would definitely have to be mounted to the pole somehow. That blower pipe alone wouldn't be strong enough to support the siren unless it was braced against the pole or strapped to the pole.
The telephone pole would have the two bars (I'm not sure of the proper name for them), but that's where the rotator box would sit, with the blower pipe coming down the middle and connecting to the blower on the ground. So the siren head would still be mounted on the telephone pole, just not directly on the main pole itself. Does that make any sense?

HDN

Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:44 am

pineapple wrote:
The telephone pole would have the two bars (I'm not sure of the proper name for them), but that's where the rotator box would sit, with the blower pipe coming down the middle and connecting to the blower on the ground. So the siren head would still be mounted on the telephone pole, just not directly on the main pole itself. Does that make any sense?
Yes. I think that would work. It might be a good idea to install a few brackets attaching the pipe to the pole so that the pipe doesn't flex a whole lot. It's amazing how much long pipe, or steel beams in general for that matter, can flex.

The pipe mount to the pole I had in mind is something like this, but probably a little bit longer between the pole and pipe for your proposed mount:

EDIT: I found a Thunderbolt water tower installation in LeRoy, MN similar to what you're describing. Looking at the pipe, it seems to be barely supported laterally at all, so maybe it's okay to have the pipe unbraced between the blower and siren. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnQWxEIbhx4
1995 AM General M35A3

whelen-ws-2000R
Probation
Probation
YouTube Username: Whelen-ws-2000R

Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:25 am

pineapple wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:51 am
Is anyone aware of a thunderbolt mounted this way, or if this could even be a realistic mounting setup? It could be a 1000, 1000T, or 1003. I don't really care. I'm trying to motorize the 1/87 Thunderbolt kit from Ralph Ratcliffe Models. It would be very convenient if there were any mounted this way; I could base it off of; however, if this could be considered a realistic mount, I could just make my own custom Thunderbolt.

If the wind is too strong, it will be blown down.
Imagine a tornado was nearby and within 5 seconds he was blown down. :D
I need some help[/color]
google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=18maOh7inTu5TzoYBbxkcWAMXA9oinHE&ll=41.82235198805739%2C-87.99801954189454&z=11
;)

[WARNING] To send me a private email please let me know and I will give you my email address. My own email cannot be received.

pineapple

Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:09 am

HDN wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:44 am
pineapple wrote:
Yes. I think that would work. It might be a good idea to install a few brackets attaching the pipe to the pole so that the pipe doesn't flex a whole lot. It's amazing how much long pipe, or steel beams in general for that matter, can flex.

The pipe mount to the pole I had in mind is something like this, but probably a little bit longer between the pole and pipe for your proposed mount:

EDIT: I found a Thunderbolt water tower installation in LeRoy, MN similar to what you're describing. Looking at the pipe, it seems to be barely supported laterally at all, so maybe it's okay to have the pipe unbraced between the blower and siren. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnQWxEIbhx4
So something like this might work?
Attachments
PXL_20240222_040745676.jpg
PXL_20240222_040745676.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 413 times

HDN

Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:12 am

That's what I was thinking.
1995 AM General M35A3

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 pm

I believe the image of the 1/87 Thunderbolt on the Ralph Ratcliffe site is actually at least partially based on a real life setup like this in Burlington, NJ.
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”