federalsignaliscool

Anyone have info on the Pentagon's Whelen 2801s or the Arlington WAVES sirens?

Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:39 pm

There are two Whelen WPS-2801s at the Pentagon and three Cooper WAVES sirens that have been found in downtown Arlington. Does anyone have info on that?
From the creator of the Official Arctic Siren Map :D

Eric-

YouTube Username: Carolina Trains N Sirens

Re: Anyone have info on the Pentagon's Whelen 2801s or the Arlington WAVES sirens?

Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:07 pm

Cooper Waves sirens I believe have been inactive since 2012. Since most of them are being removed, though the sirens at Pentagon I believe are controlled by the pentagon are controlled by the pentagon police and are active. I would call them to find out more info.

federalsignaliscool

Re: Anyone have info on the Pentagon's Whelen 2801s or the Arlington WAVES sirens?

Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:09 am

That's pretty interesting about the Arlington sirens, considering they're kinda new, but I don't really know if calling the DHS about some Whelens would be considered a valid call. Either way, thanks for the info! Do you also think that maybe the 2801s were installed after 9/11 or was it maybe before?
From the creator of the Official Arctic Siren Map :D

Bijay
YouTube Username: 5ijay

Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:16 am

Howdy, Virginia native who lives near these sirens. AFAIK, they were indeed installed after 9/11 - around 2004. Their usage is unknown.

The Pentagon simply installed the siren to put it in short.

As for the WAVES siren, it was a pilot system ran by Arlington and Alexandria County's. Lucky for me, someone from then was able to record the sirens on their monthly tests (or weekly - it's been so long since I've went back to this system). Very similar to the Pentagon system - all came after 9/11.
If you'd like a rundown on it's history, it was drafted in 2004 and called for action around then. Funds were raised - over 400K for the installation of 10 sirens in Arlington and 3 in Alexandria. It ended with only 6 sirens in total coming about with all of them being removed around 2017ish with the replacement of traffic light poles they were once on. The only ones that remain are at parks on lightpoles and simply forgotten about. The last instance of these sirens ever being used was 2014 from what I was able to gather.

Here's the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kKoPGX4Hj0

Amazing how clear the voice are on these sirens.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG
Your unlocal PNW resident!

Email : [email protected]

Bijay
YouTube Username: 5ijay

Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:17 am

Also, these sirens are not Whelen; they're from MadahcomInc which was bought by Cooper Industries which was then bought out by EATON. EATON stopped producing the WAVES siren series about a year ago, and if you're looking to contact them, they would likely no-longer have the files for the sirens.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG
Your unlocal PNW resident!

Email : [email protected]

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:35 am

Bijay wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:17 am
Also, these sirens are not Whelen; they're from MadahcomInc which was bought by Cooper Industries which was then bought out by EATON. EATON stopped producing the WAVES siren series about a year ago, and if you're looking to contact them, they would likely no-longer have the files for the sirens.
The Pentagon sirens are both Whelens.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”