Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Siren Misconceptions

Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:21 am

Hi,

I don't think that this kind of topic exists yet, so here it is.
Basically, post any things you thought you knew about sirens, but turned out to be completely or partially wrong. This could help some more inexperienced members of the Board to quickly correct their mistakes.

To demonstrate, here are some misconceptions I had:

- ACA and Whelen were German
- Sentry Siren was not connected to Sterling and is a newly-emerging company
- All Darley Champions looked the same
- Thunderbolts were electromagnetic sirens, whatever they are (I think that this one stemmed from the word 'electromechanical' being misspelt and then butchered by autocorrect)

Anyway, the important thing is that we have learnt from our mistakes, and that we are willing to help others not to make the same ones we did. Unless you didn't make mistakes, in which case, uh, well done :D
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Re: Siren Misconceptions

Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:20 am

There are tons of misconceptions that I know of, that I'll list here. I used to believe many of these things, until further research was done alongside other enthusiasts.

-Sterling Model Ms.
Most people think they're "M-5" or "M-10" sirens, which just isn't the case. Sterling never used the horsepower of their sirens in the Model M name, and were just simply referred to as the Model M. Names such as "M-3", "N-5" and "Y-10" are also incorrect. The single headed Ms don't have any special designation, and the Model Ms with brakes were known as Sterling Coded Ms or Sterling Code Sirens. There is one caveat to this, when Sentry produced the Model M between 1972 and 1986, they did refer to it as the Model M-10. But this only applies to Sentry built models.

-Sterling Model VX sirens.
Most of the community thinks these are "K" sirens, such as the "K-5" or "K-2". I believe this was due to somebody misreading the tag on one of these sirens. However, these have been confirmed through various sources to be the Model VX, with known models being the 2V8, 3V, 3VX, 5VX, and 7.5VX. "VX" doesn't stand for anything as far as we know, and the X isn't a stand-in for any numbers. We're still learning more about these sirens.

-The FS Model series sirens and their names.
A lot of people don't know the difference between the different models, assuming the units with taller housings are Model 7s while the smaller ones are Model 3s and 5s. In reality, it's more complicated. There were 3 sizes in the Model siren series, with distinct housing styles. The C1 1/2 is the smallest and rarest, came only in 3HP, and thus is always a Model 3. It had a short housing with no A-frame or eyebolt, with a skirt that was thinner than the top rainshield. The C2 1/2 was more common, and could be either a Model 3 or a Model 5 depending on the motor it used, and had a housing with a skirt that was as wide as the rainshield. The C3 1/2 is the most common and the largest, with the wider skirt. It could be a Model 5, a Model 7, or even a Model 10 depending on the motor. You really can't tell what a Model siren is unless you read the tag, only the size. The different sizes had different sized rotor/stator assemblies, as well as the housings. Another thing is that a taller housing doesn't make it a higher horsepower siren. It likely means the siren is a single phase unit, as the single phase motors Federal used tended to be taller than the three phase motors and required a taller housing.
The C1 1/2 is extremely rare since it was discontinued in the 1950s, while the C2 1/2 made it to the mid 1970s. The C3 1/2 lasted all the way from 1953 until 1987, which is why it is the most common.

-Church carillon bells being mistaken for WS-1000s.
A ton of churches use Atlas speakers of the same model used on the WS-1000, which causes a lot of people to think they're Whelen sirens. In reality, they're just electronic bells to summon people to worship. Only a handful of actual WS-1000 units are known to exist, and they're pole mounted, not mounted on roofs.

-The difference between a HOR Super Sirex and a Sirex.
These are actually two separate types of sirens. The Super Sirex was the huge rotational horizontal siren with the large intake cones, while the Sirex was essentially a vertical, omnidirectional version of the Super Sirex. They shared the same chopper/stators and could be 9, 10, or 7/10 port. To add to the confusion, some Super Sirexes were rebuilt into Sirexes when the rotators died.

-The 7/10 2T22 "prototype".
This never existed, and was merely an illustration that was supposed to generally depict the siren, although it wasn't completely accurate. The 2T22, as its name suggests, was ALWAYS a 10/12 siren. If it was 7/10, then it'd be a 2T17.

-The T-128's age.
Most people think it was a purely ASC siren that was created in the late 1990s, but it's in fact older. It was created by ACA in 1993, although it was never put into production under ACA as Hormann decided not to produce it after buying ACA. It would be later produced by Excel Alerting Communicators and finally ASC.

-Mobil Directo port ratios.
A lot of people think that the BN44E could only be 10/12 dual tone, with the 8-port units all being converted gasoline units. In truth, the BN44E could be either 10/12 dual tone or 8-port single tone from the factory. This is proven by the active 8-port unit in Memphis, TN, which was installed years after the gasoline units were, and historical photos show it always having been electric. The gasoline BN52/BN54 units on the other hand were never dual tone. This misconception tricked me for a long time.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:01 am

Below is a link to a Siren Misconceptions thread that was created in 2020, but then locked in 2021 after it ran its course:

https://airraidsirens.net/forums/viewto ... onceptions
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Eclipse DDS

Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:00 am

Ah, thanks, haven’t seen that. Thanks for pointing it out :)
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

LukeH

Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:33 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:01 am
Below is a link to a Siren Misconceptions thread that was created in 2020, but then locked in 2021 after it ran its course:

https://airraidsirens.net/forums/viewto ... onceptions
That thread was locked by someone who is no longer an admin for that very reason. He decided to begin gatekeeping which thread had "run its course" repetitively and made several other poor decisions that led to the unanimous decision by the Modmin team to remove him.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

MysteryTexan75
New User

Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:57 pm

I used to think that 2001s were electronic sirens and were capable of voice.

J19_vlogger74
New User
YouTube Username: J19 vlogger74

Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:55 pm

(1) I used to think the 2001's were a part of the Thunderbolt series. This led me to spend way too much time looking for 2001's with square horns, and (actual) Thunderbolts with round horns. (2) During that quest, I got curious and looked up "Thunderbolt 1002." The first video I clicked on was a Thunderbolt 100T set to Chopper level 1, leading me to think all of the low-pitched Thunderbolts were 1002's.
Used to call the EOWS*612 the "Six-Speaker Siren." :lol:

Eclipse DDS

Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:43 pm

J19_vlogger74 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:55 pm
(1) I used to think the 2001's were a part of the Thunderbolt series. This led me to spend way too much time looking for 2001's with square horns, and (actual) Thunderbolts with round horns. (2) During that quest, I got curious and looked up "Thunderbolt 1002." The first video I clicked on was a Thunderbolt 100T set to Chopper level 1, leading me to think all of the low-pitched Thunderbolts were 1002's.
You weren’t entirely wrong thinking that 2001s were part of the Thunderbolt series, as they actually did reuse some components from T-Bolts.
Also, for future reference, ‘1002’ Thunderbolts are usually referred to as simply ‘Thunderbolt 1000s’, and ‘100Ts’ are actually ‘1000Ts’. I also made this mistake for a while, especially when verbally conversing

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”