Kasey
YouTube Username: Kasey
Discord: Kasey#9793

What exactly was ASI?

Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:47 pm

Does anyone have info on what happened to ASI, and what their name stood for? Was there also a website? All I know is that they were some company that sold their HA series of sirens mainly to California. The only thing I found searching the board was that they broke off from Hormann and ASC, and they had some rotating model.
I have a thing for objects that light up or make noise.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Re: What exactly was ASI?

Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:00 am

ASI is/was Alerting Solutions Inc. If I'm not mistaken, the company started off as Raytek Incorporated, which was a Hörmann dealership back in the 80s. They eventually became Hörmann/Hoerman of America and sold their ECN and E57 sirens in the US. Sentry once considered dealing with them for electronic sirens; however, that fell through in the early 90s. Shortly after that, ACA went bankrupt, and they bought them, turning the company into ASC. After they drove ASC into the ground and the company was bought out, they returned to being an independent siren company. They served as a semi-quasi-ASC dealership, selling the ECN and HA series sirens alongside the Tempest series and, I presume, the E57 to some extent. At some point they did sell sirens with UltraVoice and ATI controllers; however, they mainly stuck with ASC ones which makes sense considering the role they played in the company's development.

The company eventually stopped importing the ECN horns from Germany and dropped the ECN series in favor of the HA, and by the late 2000s, they officially dropped the Hoermann name and became ASI. They were bought by Ad Hoc after that, which is currently owned by Blackberry. AFAIK they still operate as an ASC dealership and sell the HA series, which is more or less an E-Class without a mounting bracket. While the rotating HA series was advertised in both 1600 and 3200-watt forms, I don't think they ever produced any they were installed in the wild.

Someone else can chime in with a more accurate timeline, but this basically sums up who they are.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Kasey

Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:02 am

DJ2226 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:00 am
ASI is/was Alerting Solutions Inc. If I'm not mistaken, the company started off as Raytek Incorporated, which was a Hörmann dealership back in the 80s. They eventually became Hörmann/Hoerman of America and sold their ECN and E57 sirens in the US. Sentry once considered dealing with them for electronic sirens; however, that fell through in the early 90s. Shortly after that, ACA went bankrupt, and they bought them, turning the company into ASC. After they drove ASC into the ground and the company was bought out, they returned to being an independent siren company. They served as a semi-quasi-ASC dealership, selling the ECN and HA series sirens alongside the Tempest series and, I presume, the E57 to some extent. At some point they did sell sirens with UltraVoice and ATI controllers; however, they mainly stuck with ASC ones which makes sense considering the role they played in the company's development.

The company eventually stopped importing the ECN horns from Germany and dropped the ECN series in favor of the HA, and by the late 2000s, they officially dropped the Hoermann name and became ASI. They were bought by Ad Hoc after that, which is currently owned by Blackberry. AFAIK they still operate as an ASC dealership and sell the HA series, which is more or less an E-Class without a mounting bracket. While the rotating HA series was advertised in both 1600 and 3200-watt forms, I don't think they ever produced any they were installed in the wild.

Someone else can chime in with a more accurate timeline, but this basically sums up who they are.
Interesting. Thank you!

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:36 am

Going to their website on the Wayback Machine also has some interesting results. Some specific links, though I forget which, have really interesting spreadsheets with some never-seen-before models.

Also, HA sirens were installed with ATI controllers? Are there any confirmed instances?
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Kasey

Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:36 pm

HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
Going to their website on the Wayback Machine also has some interesting results. Some specific links, though I forget which, have really interesting spreadsheets with some never-seen-before models.

Also, HA sirens were installed with ATI controllers? Are there any confirmed instances?
Can you link the website? I did see a screenshot of a rotational model on here while looking into the brand.

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:02 pm

Kasey wrote:
HudsonRiverSirens wrote:

Can you link the website? I did see a screenshot of a rotational model on here while looking into the brand.
I think this is the website right here. Currently the domain is for sale.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160905225 ... dress.html
Still pop on here occasionally, but no longer post.

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:42 am

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_ca/2128873

This site shows the company as having dissolved in 2019, and it no longer exists. Which explains why the site is for sale.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:18 pm

Kasey wrote:
HudsonRiverSirens wrote:

That screenshot was posted by me, actually. This is the website: https://web.archive.org/web/20110225130 ... lcome.html and I don’t know if this is the one with the PDFs, you might just have to use process of elimination with the snapshots
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:44 pm

HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
Not as far as I know. They had an image of an ATI cabinet on their website or one of the PDFs at one point.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”