Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Re: Hi, I'm the owner of the 2nd known Cosgrave/Codwell

Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:19 pm

What an amazing discovery! Can't wait to see the progress on this siren and eventually it running!
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

TaliaKuznetsova

Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:44 pm

Model L wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:19 pm
What an amazing discovery! Can't wait to see the progress on this siren and eventually it running!
In June I will try and move it and begin the restoration.

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:43 am

This is an absolutely amazing find, thank you for bringing it to us. I'd be curious to see more pictures of the coding mechanism itself whenever that becomes an option.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

jerrylovessirens

Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:53 am

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting this to the forum. Facebook, discord, reddit are great. But you can count on ARS being a good resource for archival information.

I do wish you the best on this restoration. If I recall correctly, you said the choppers are free and not seized up?

It will be neat to uncover the details of how this siren works as the teardown begins. Please keep this thread updated!
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

TaliaKuznetsova

Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:10 am

jerrylovessirens wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:53 am
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting this to the forum. Facebook, discord, reddit are great. But you can count on ARS being a good resource for archival information.

I do wish you the best on this restoration. If I recall correctly, you said the choppers are free and not seized up?

It will be neat to uncover the details of how this siren works as the teardown begins. Please keep this thread updated!
They are not moveable by hand however they are in good condition physically (Not pits or dings or even scratches just dirt and patina vs corrosion) is their status. My guess in the seize is that the motor is locked up, ice due to snow, or the screw thread is clogged. Once i get this thing vertical and I can work on it properly I can make a better assessment. If it is seized that still isn't the end of the world.

I'm doing a 100% complete teardown to every last bolt for this restoration so everything will be scrubbed clean and lubed and greased and etc so as long as it can be taken apart it can be fixed.

TaliaKuznetsova

Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:13 am

Zarlog wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:43 am
This is an absolutely amazing find, thank you for bringing it to us. I'd be curious to see more pictures of the coding mechanism itself whenever that becomes an option.
Oh for sure that will get detailed pictures. For now here is the patent that is my restoration guide (No service manual of course) https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 777283.pdf

Page 6/8 (On the pdf) and bottom left. It works akin to a starter gear advance/retract mechanism, rotation drives it up on a thread that moves the rotors up into position against the stators. When rotation slows it slides back down. This is all dampened by oil with a bypass mechanism like a hydraulic door slam reducer/etc.

TaliaKuznetsova

Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:31 pm

Moving this might be easier its starting to become the talk of the station with a few people.

TaliaKuznetsova

Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:01 am

I don't want to clog the forums with a entirely seperate thread for this, does anyone know some good names I can contact to help with restoring this siren? I know my way around mechanical objects, have good knowledge of electric motors but I have never done a restoration this grand before. I want to get some advice with experienced people to prevent messing this up when the time comes.

jerrylovessirens

Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:34 am

I would would be more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have.
If you want any examples of my work, look at my Mobil Directo restoration.
There are also plenty of other highly experienced mechanics and technicians here that are happy to share knowledge and tips.
My suggestion would be to just field your general here on this thread, so any servicd knowledge we collectively gain on this exceptionally rare siren can be referred to in the future!
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

LukeH

Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:27 pm

TaliaKuznetsova wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:01 am
I don't want to clog the forums with a entirely seperate thread for this, does anyone know some good names I can contact to help with restoring this siren? I know my way around mechanical objects, have good knowledge of electric motors but I have never done a restoration this grand before. I want to get some advice with experienced people to prevent messing this up when the time comes.
Jerry and myself would be happy to offer any tips and tricks we have aquired over the years, as I'm sure others will aswell. I might suggest joining the Siren Enthusiasts Facebook group, as there is some knowledge there that you won't find here, and vise versa, it is good to be connected to the community in as many ways as possible, especially when dealing with a rarity such as this.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”