bettarelli

Paint problems

Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi guys

I have a TBolt 1000 fully functional in my backyard i put up a few years ago. The only problem I have with it is the paint keeps peeling off the blower and or rotator box where i have re-painted them a few times already.....i have always striped the old paint off, cleaned the metal really good with acetone and other cleaners so the surface is very clean for painting. I then use etching primer (two coats) then regular primer (two coats) then starburst yellow from Rustoleum.....it gets aggravating to repaint it every other year with paint and new decals.....any suggestions guys?

Thanks
Chris

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Re: Paint problems

Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:06 pm

bettarelli wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:40 pm
Hi guys

I have a TBolt 1000 fully functional in my backyard i put up a few years ago. The only problem I have with it is the paint keeps peeling off the blower and or rotator box where i have re-painted them a few times already.....i have always striped the old paint off, cleaned the metal really good with acetone and other cleaners so the surface is very clean for painting. I then use etching primer (two coats) then regular primer (two coats) then starburst yellow from Rustoleum.....it gets aggravating to repaint it every other year with paint and new decals.....any suggestions guys?

Thanks
Chris
Are you using spray paint? That stuff weathers away pretty fast. I used the kind of paint that you get out of a bucket for my siren, and it's held up for about a year and it constantly gets rained on and the sun's always on it. It still looks new!

A bit off-topic, but can I see pictures of the siren?
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

bettarelli

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:34 pm

I actually use the Rustoleum in the can not spray paint but it still peels on me.....so bummed out when that happens because i then have to strip the item then clean and repaint...and new decals.....pain in the butt....here are some pics...before it started to peel...
Attachments
Tbolt1.jpg
Tbolt1.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Tbolt1.jpg
Tbolt1.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:34 pm

I have experienced the same problem with Rustoleum even the stuff in the can. I painted parts of my 500 SHST with the safety yellow and let them sit outside for a year. Within a year they were peeling and flaking. Cruz told me about XO Rust and I have been using it ever since. It seems like a high-quality paint and appears to hold up to the weather well. I refurbished a few 2001's last year and when I went back to where they were installed they still look as glossy as the day we put them up. I know Blake from Cumberland, WI has been using Rustoleum with great success, but he adds a hardener to the paint. XO rust can be obtained at any True Value hardware store or you can order it online.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:25 pm

bettarelli wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:34 pm
I use the Rustoleum in the can not spray paint but it still peels on me.....so bummed out when that happens because I then have to strip the item then clean and repaint...and new decals.....pain in the butt....here are some pics...before it started to peel...
Wow! That looks great!
I'll have to ask my grandfather what kind of paint we used... I don't remember the brand, all I remember is that it was fire engine red.
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

bettarelli

Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 pm

Thanks for the info Tom, i will give XO a try....like I said repainting every other year sucks so hopefully XO will help....I spent a year restoring my TBolt (I have a few other sirens to, 3t22b and model 2 and 2t)

here are some pics of my tbolt...

Thanks Tom
Chris
Attachments
Tbolt1.jpg
Tbolt1.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 1333 times

bettarelli

Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 pm

Thanks Magnus!!!!

bettarelli

Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:26 pm

Hey Tom.....what type of primer do you use with XO? Etching or standard primer from Rustoleum?

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:28 pm

bettarelli wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:26 pm
Hey Tom.....what type of primer do you use with XO? Etching or standard primer from Rustoleum?
With the XO Rust, it is direct to metal. What we do on sirens with existing powder coated paint is grind the rust spots off, then rough up the surface with an abrasive pad. Then clean with soap and water. I usually apply the paint on the pieces as one coat and hand the pieces so I can hit both sides. The Xo Rust paint seems to be pretty thick so I never really have issues with running.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

bettarelli

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Thanks Tom!! I ordered some of the yellow XO rust paint from Amazon....i'll give your suggestions a try.....thanks a ton Tom!!

Happy Holidays bud!

Chris

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”