Melvin Potts

Chattanooga, TN Sirens

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:55 am

The yellow Tbolt which 2001srnfan mentions is atop Mary Walker Towers. I believe this is a public housing complex. I'd seen the siren 100s of times on trips through Chattanooga. During a visit a few years ago I drove past this building, so go the name of it. Complex isn't too far from Lookout Mtn.

I'd like to know where the grey Tbolt along the interestate is. Is it along I-24 or I-75..if anybody knows, I'd like to know just where it is. Even if it's not working it would be interesting to check out on my upcoming trip to Atlanta in October.

I was in part of downtown area back in '03, but didn't notice any sirens there.
Maybe they weren't in that particular area.

StonedChipmunk

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:05 pm

Exactly (for around the 4th time is it?) on the Mary Walker Towers siren. All I know is that I saw a gray colored Tbolt when leaving Chattanooga on an interstate.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

2001srnfan

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:30 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:I'll add that to my search list, thanks... which part coming in to?
I don't remember, it was in somewhat of a canyon, with hills on both sides and a road running down the middle. Just look in the phone book for Circle C BBQ. It should be under restaurants.

2001srnfan

Re: Chattanooga, TN Sirens

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:32 pm

Melvin Potts wrote:The yellow Tbolt which 2001srnfan mentions is atop Mary Walker Towers. I believe this is a public housing complex. I'd seen the siren 100s of times on trips through Chattanooga. During a visit a few years ago I drove past this building, so go the name of it. Complex isn't too far from Lookout Mtn.

I'd like to know where the grey Tbolt along the interestate is. Is it along I-24 or I-75..if anybody knows, I'd like to know just where it is. Even if it's not working it would be interesting to check out on my upcoming trip to Atlanta in October.

I was in part of downtown area back in '03, but didn't notice any sirens there.
Maybe they weren't in that particular area.
I'm not to sure which Interstate I saw it on, it might have been the I-75, since that is the highway we took down there. Then again, I'm not sure.

How far is Bridgeport, Alabama from Chattanooga? I saw a Sterling siren in that town.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: Siren Test in Chattanooga TN Area...?

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Yes, this is an incredibly old topic, but I thought I would shed some light on the CD era system before someone gets mad and bashes me to death with my keyboard (not really)

According to the 1964 Siren Survey, Chattanooga had 7 thunderbolts and 3 SD-10s or vice versa. Three of the thunderbolts are accounted for, with only one still remaining unfortunately.

They are:
Mary Walker Towers (gone)
Belvoir Pharmacy (gone)
Bank Building at 7th and Market (Still there)

I'm actively searching for the rest of the CD system if they still exist however. Apologies if this is the wrong topic, but it was the only Chattanooga siren thread I knew of off hand.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

bobcat418
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Flying Train Productions

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:41 pm

Brendan W wrote:Three of the thunderbolts are accounted for, with only one still remaining unfortunately.

They are:
Mary Walker Towers (gone)
Belvoir Pharmacy (gone)
Bank Building at 7th and Market (Still there)
Would you happen to know when the Mary Walker Towers unit removed? I had noticed that it didn’t seem to be there on my last couple of trips, however I figured I was looking at the wrong building. As for the Bank Building at 7th and Market, I have an image of it from December 2016 which can be seen below (siren between the cellular antennas, looks to be painted white):
15AEB57D-315F-44DC-B17E-7311FA61D76C.jpeg
15AEB57D-315F-44DC-B17E-7311FA61D76C.jpeg (87.09 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
I am curious as to what we can dig up on this system, it would be great to have a more detailed history on the CD systems in many of the major cities in the US.
Check out my youtube channel Flying Train Productions
Proud owner of a '63 Thunderbolt 1000BT, '69 Model B-9 and a late 70's Model A
Certified Skywarn spotter since March 4th, 2017

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:10 pm

I want to say roughly in 2015-2016 is when Mary Walker came down. Hopefully some more units are out there somewhere.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:56 am

Brendan W wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:10 pm
I want to say roughly in 2015-2016 is when Mary Walker came down. Hopefully some more units are out there somewhere.
2016 sounds about right, I want to say. I remember seeing it in 2015 when I went up there, I want to say. I'll also see if I can dig-up and post the pictures I have of the one in downtown.

Also, I have to wonder where this Sterling that was mentioned in Bridgeport, AL is/was and if it's still there. I know they have some Modulators now...
2001srnfan wrote: How far is Bridgeport, Alabama from Chattanooga? I saw a Sterling siren in that town.
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Railfan99

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:38 pm

I hate to bump this thread, but I believe the tbolt on the top of the bank building was also taken down.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”